UK Tourist Visa for Khmer Girlfriend

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

UK Tourist Visa for Khmer Girlfriend

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello

I've tried the search function but there's so many different situations I don't know where I stand.

I've lived in Cambodia for nearly 6 Years, we've been together for five of those. She has a job as an assistant Gym teacher, but it's nothing official. Having said that I imagine the teacher would write her a letter.

She's had a decent wedge of $$ go into her bank every month for the last few years.

I have plenty of money to cover us both.

We have somewhere to stay in the UK who can provide a letter (it's my mother - she's sick - which is why I'm trying to get us both over there).

We're only looking at a two or three week stay in the UK

Does anyone know where I can go for advice or assistance, or even know what I need to do?

If you have links to threads where this is previously covered - that would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: UK Tourist Visa for Khmer Girlfriend

Post by truffledog »

Forget it. You will never convince the authorities that she will go back.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

truffledog wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:26 am Forget it. You will never convince the authorities that she will go back.
I think that’s a bit pessimistic but it will definitely be difficult and won’t be quick. When we needed visa assistance we used
https://www.fivestarinternational.co.uk and they were great. Lots of people said using a company was a waste of time and money but i found it extremely helpful and they got the job done.

To be clear though, our situation was different and we weren’t applying for a holiday visa.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I think the big question here, which the OP didn't elaborate on, is what kind of ties she has to Cambodia that compel her to return in due course. Being an "assistant gym teacher", by itself, certainly won't cut it.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Get all of your paperwork together.

Any land?docs Translated by pyramid into English
Payslips
Bank statements (go to bank and get the stamped one, not just print yourself, you may have to pay)
Letter of accommodation from your mum (write yourself and get her to sign if possible)

Proof of your funds

Proof of your job here (reason to both come back)

Proof of travel to other countries, preferably together (matched visas and photos of trip)

Also write a letter of guarantee from yourself to cover any costs (template online somewhere)

I always like to give much more paperwork than needed just in case

I think it eastwest visa services could help but have always done myself.

Once you've got all of that, then start the visa application online
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Posted on the other thread but this one's busier:

Get all of your paperwork together.

Any land?docs Translated by pyramid into English
Payslips
Bank statements (go to bank and get the stamped one, not just print yourself, you may have to pay)
Letter of accommodation from your mum (write yourself and get her to sign if possible)

Proof of your funds

Proof of your job here (reason to both come back)

Proof of travel to other countries, preferably together (matched visas and photos of trip)

Also write a letter of guarantee from yourself to cover any costs (template online somewhere)

I always like to give much more paperwork than needed just in case

I think it eastwest visa services could help but have always done myself.

Once you've got all of that, then start the visa application online

As others have said, showing a reason that she will return is the biggest obstacle.

The best things for this are:
Land (for some reason)
Dependent family
Good job (you or her)

If you satisfy any of those well enough you should be ok
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

If you can answer the two concerns, you will get it easy as; 1. Does she have good reason to return to Cambodia, 2. Have you/her got enough money to support her on the trip, and ensure her return flight.

I did a post on it on ToF, will fish out the paperwork I provided & post later.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that the UK visa officers are ageist and sexist. I think they actually enjoy issuing refusals to older UK guys wanting to bring over younger Khmer women.

I have noticed on the relevant facebook groups that young female UK citizens working in Cambodia are getting UK visit visas for their young Cambodian boyfriends with ease. Said bfs have a poorly paid job and not much else to show intention to return.

I know of many old guys who have struggled to get visit visas for their younger Khmer gfs. Many give up. Of those who have succeeded, I don't know of a single case of overstay in the UK.

If the applicant is a genuinely cashed-up Khmer or has a seriously well paid career job, it should be easy. Also if the couple have a baby together and the baby has a UK passport. Absent one of those things, you have a struggle on your hands.

The most painless way is to use a good quality visa agent in Pattaya, much cheaper and better than a UK lawyer. You get a money-back guarantee. The agent fee will be at least $1000, plus the application fees of $200+.

BTW, owning land, having a non-career job, having dependents in Cambodia, having travelled to other countries (which don't have stringent immigration controls) are all of very little help.

Even if you do convince them on the intention to return issue, you also have to prove you have sufficient funds, place to stay in the UK etc. There are specific ways that all this needs to be proved and specific requirements of documents to be submitted, only some of which are listed on the UK Visa pages. For the translation, you can use any translator who is competent and owns a stamp.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:39 am
BTW, owning land, having a non-career job, having dependents in Cambodia, having travelled to other countries (which don't have stringent immigration controls) are all of very little help.
That is exactly my situation and have had 4 visas. So clearly that is not correct
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

cautious colin wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:57 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:39 am
That is exactly my situation and have had 4 visas. So clearly that is not correct
Well done for getting the visas.
I am familiar with a lot of UK Visit Visa applications, however, and I can assure you it is correct.
You can get lucky the first time and of course once the applicant has had one, follow-ups are easy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic