Sim-Card still active?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nich
Expatriate
Germany

Sim-Card still active?

Post by nich »

Hello

Bought my card from a m&p at Kep october 18 (so not registered the way it should)

Used it again with no problems in March 19 now I am coming back soon and wanted to check my card but i don´t get anymore network in Germany (worked in Feb 19).

Is there a way to check if the card is still working ? (its not 6 month since the last use)

Its a card from SMART and their page seems to have changed since the last time I checked it. Could see the name of the person it was registered to.

Thanks
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Sim-Card still active?

Post by Spigzy »

Get somebody in country to top up the card $1 & it will reactivate if dormant. If it is now registered to a new customer (usually only possible after 6 months inactivity I think), then they will get a nice $1 bonus and your SIM will definitely be dead & buried! :D

It is also possible to top up with a bank card (or scratch card PIN, or SmartLuy), here's the link: https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/onli ... d#bankCard
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
nich
Expatriate
Germany

Post by nich »

If it´s in "sleepmode" should I get nomaly at least network?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Sorry bad news, just checked with an expert and it is 3 months of inactivity before the SIM becomes dead; so you won't see any signal, and the SIM cannot be recovered beyond that point; a top up won't work on a SIM with 3m+ inactivity.

I think the page you might have been thinking of previously is here: https://simreg.smart.com.kh/ - but with a dead SIM that's useless. I'm not sure if you could register your currently dead SIM (it would be available as a number out of sale I guess), then top it up remotely & see if a signal pops up?

If you want to check the SIM details and make sure it is in your name then you can dial *567# (overseas would work also, USSD routes to the home country gateway).

To save a Smart SIM for a long stay overseas, then you're best to use the "XtraLong" product which is $2 to keep a SIM active for 6 months; so nearly 8-9m effectively I guess if you include the "inactive" status before it finally goes dark.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 pm Sorry bad news, just checked with an expert and it is 3 months of inactivity before the SIM becomes dead; so you won't see any signal, and the SIM cannot be recovered beyond that point; a top up won't work on a SIM with 3m+ inactivity.

OP - I think I have left the country for more than 3 months and SIM still worked.

Try to top up $1 online on the Smart website.
nich
Expatriate
Germany

Post by nich »

If somebody would try to top up my sim with 1$, I would recompensat him gladly with 2 beers next week at PP.

Would be also a nice possibility to get in touch with the expat community.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

nich wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:49 am If somebody would try to top up my sim with 1$, I would recompensat him gladly with 2 beers next week at PP.

Would be also a nice possibility to get in touch with the expat community.
Do it online with a credit card
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Couldn't you just have someone call your number and listen to the message given or know if it has been given to another person ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 pm it is 3 months of inactivity
100 days iirc
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

fax wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:11 am
Spigzy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 pm it is 3 months of inactivity
100 days iirc
On my App for Smart it says 180 days. I topped up $10 with my card online a month ago. It now says I have $13+ credit and got 156 days left before expires!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic