Retiring at 50 in the KoW

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
timetosettledown
Tourist
Germany

Retiring at 50 in the KoW

Post by timetosettledown »

I’ll turn 50 soon and although I’ve been retired for a number of years I’m tiring of the tourist visa malarkey. I know 55 is the official retirement age to get an ER but am I able to get it by showing sufficient $$$? I don’t work but can go the EB route if necessary but would prefer not.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Retiring at 50 in the KoW

Post by cptrelentless »

timetosettledown wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:01 pm I’ll turn 50 soon and although I’ve been retired for a number of years I’m tiring of the tourist visa malarkey. I know 55 is the official retirement age to get an ER but am I able to get it by showing sufficient $$$? I don’t work but can go the EB route if necessary but would prefer not.
-Notarized letter from a former private sector employer or "certificate of retirement"
-Copy of a monthly account statement showing sufficient income
-Retirement visa fee
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Search function
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Would there be a legal problem living on tourist visas in Cambodia? Did any of the forum members experience a situation when immigration officer says “you come here on tourist visas too much”, like they do in Thailand? If so, how many days per calendar year on tourist visas is viewed as “safe” to live to be allowed entry on the next arrival? Is it more prudent to exit for a longer period rather than a 1-day visa run?
timetosettledown
Tourist
Germany

Post by timetosettledown »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 pm
timetosettledown wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:01 pm I’ll turn 50 soon and although I’ve been retired for a number of years I’m tiring of the tourist visa malarkey. I know 55 is the official retirement age to get an ER but am I able to get it by showing sufficient $$$? I don’t work but can go the EB route if necessary but would prefer not.
-Notarized letter from a former private sector employer or "certificate of retirement"
-Retirement visa fee
The notarized letter would be an issue as I retired 10 years ago. But anyway I’ll give one of the agents a try and post my result.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hunter8 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 pm Would there be a legal problem living on tourist visas in Cambodia? Did any of the forum members experience a situation when immigration officer says “you come here on tourist visas too much”, like they do in Thailand? If so, how many days per calendar year on tourist visas is viewed as “safe” to live to be allowed entry on the next arrival? Is it more prudent to exit for a longer period rather than a 1-day visa run?
WHY? You can come in on a 30 day ordinary visa ( $35) than apply fora EG ( looking for work) extension
so 7 months, $35 + $160-180..... 7 tourist visas $210.
BUT with the extension, you do not need to leave an border runs every month would add up $$$...
before its due to expire, leave and repeat...so far no limit set.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:51 pm
hunter8 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 pm Would there be a legal problem living on tourist visas in Cambodia? Did any of the forum members experience a situation when immigration officer says “you come here on tourist visas too much”, like they do in Thailand? If so, how many days per calendar year on tourist visas is viewed as “safe” to live to be allowed entry on the next arrival? Is it more prudent to exit for a longer period rather than a 1-day visa run?
WHY? You can come in on a 30 day ordinary visa ( $35) than apply fora EG ( looking for work) extension
so 7 months, $35 + $160-180..... 7 tourist visas $210.
BUT with the extension, you do not need to leave an border runs every month would add up $$$...
before its due to expire, leave and repeat...so far no limit set.
So if a foreigner is NOT looking for work and living on an Ordinary visa+EG extension, this is a safe option to live until the age of 55? Would IO have legal grounds to deny entry after 2-3 cycles with the reason “you cannot find work and you tried too much already” or something like that?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 pm
-Retirement visa fee
Or...

- Statuary declaration stating that you are retired & have sufficient funds to support yourself and do not intend to seek employment in Cambodia
- evidence of sufficient funds (does not need to be monthly income) to support yourself for duration of stay
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:49 pm [q
- evidence of sufficient funds (does not need to be monthly income) to support yourself for duration of stay
How much?
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

There is no official published figure, however people under 50 have reported receiving a 12 mth ER EOS by showing that they have as little as $6,000 in a Cambodian bank account
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic