Overstay due to ordering a new passport

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
justin.workman
Tourist
United States of America

Overstay due to ordering a new passport

Post by justin.workman »

Hello there family, I tried to renew my visa at a travel agency they refused as my passport was expiring in 6 months and 3 days. I was advised to go to the American embassy to order a new one. Unfortunately that took about a month so now its $10 a day and I think I'm 36 days over at this point. I am getting a flight back to the Philippines in the next day or two. Firstly is there going to be a problem at the airport to pay this? Is it possible to give the person a few bucks to pay less?
It's not my fault really I had no choice but to wait on the new passport to come in.

Any solid ideas would be great.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Overstay due to ordering a new passport

Post by phuketrichard »

It is ur fault, u had 9 years 6 months advance notice.
Pay on departure...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
justin.workman
Tourist
United States of America

Post by justin.workman »

Yes sir it's my fault, but I had no idea they would not renew it with 6 months and 3 days left.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Read the first post listed below .."overstay 45 days....". seems u also need an exit stamp....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I seem to remember seeing a sign at the passport checkpoint saying something like no cash to be paid here. So there is probably an office somewhere in the airport. However, If you are catching a plane in 2 hours I would not rely on doing a deal with them at the airport, they kinda have you over a barrel at that point.

There is an Immigration Department over the road from the airport. It might be a good idea to pay them a visit the day before you travel and explain, as best you can, what happened, that you tried to do the right thing and that you are leaving tomorrow and want to resolve it today. Maybe you'll get a waiver or some discount, but I doubt it. At worst you will know how much and where to pay so your exit will be as smooth and stress free as possible. Just expensive...

Let us know how you get on.... bon voyage
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic