I am concerned about a British national living in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ibish
Tourist
Barbados

I am concerned about a British national living in Cambodia

Post by ibish »

Hello. I apologize in advance if this is against the rules.

We have met a few years ago and I am friends with him on Line. He is a British national, 33 yo, working in an International school (not as a teacher) in Phnom Penh. I haven't talked to him in 2 years at the very least. Few days ago I was scrolling through my friends list on Line and saw an Asian man's photo on his profile. His previous activities and photos have not been deleted. I texted him to check what he was up to and got a response in Khmer. I called him through Line, an Asian man picked up the phone. I sent him an email, no answer. I am hesitant writing this, it's probably nothing but I can't help wondering what happened to him. As far as I remember he told me he had a relationship with a Khmer girl. I am familiar with horror stories happening to foreign men in Asia, that is probably why I am concerned. I am writing here on the off chance that he is a member or there is an acquaintance of him here. I just don't know what else to do to make sure he is ok and doesn't need help of any kind.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: I am concerned about a British national living in Cambodia

Post by explorer »

You probably should share his name and pictures of him, even his Facebook account. Then if someone knows him, or has any information about him, then they can let you know. Without that, people wont know who you are talking about.

Most things could be explained without necessarily being any problems. For example, he may have bought a new phone, with a new sim, and someone else may now have his old number. But to have someone else take over his Facebook account is unusual.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Isn't line connected to the phone number like WhatsApp? If he let the number expire someone bought a sim with that number and also uses line.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:38 pm You probably should share his name and pictures of him, even his Facebook account. Then if someone knows him, or has any information about him, then they can let you know. Without that, people wont know who you are talking about.

Most things could be explained without necessarily being any problems. For example, he may have bought a new phone, with a new sim, and someone else may now have his old number. But to have someone else take over his Facebook account is unusual.
I don't agree at all. The guy is probably doing fine and doesn't need missing posters all over the internet. It's an invasion of privacy, and unless it's established that something is wrong, which is not at all the case here, we shouldn't jump to conclusions.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ibish
Tourist
Barbados

Post by ibish »

epidemiks wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:40 pm Isn't line connected to the phone number like WhatsApp? If he let the number expire someone bought a sim with that number and also uses line.
I have been friends with him on Line since 2014, he moved to Cambodia in 2017. His past activities have not been deleted on that profile. There are several photos of him there as well. It just doesn't make any sense, why this Khmer guy would keep his photos and his name on that account if what you say is the case.

Posting his photos and such, I am just not sure. If he is ok, there is a chance he wouldn't be happy about me posting his photos online. I will send one to the admin however
the irishman
Tourist
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by the irishman »

You say he works at a school, (or did) why not visit the school and ask if he is still there?
...I have been friends with him on Line since 2014, he moved to Cambodia in 2017....
...I haven't talked to him in 2 years at the very least.
So in reality, you have not been in touch with him since he moved to Cambodia
not to close a friend than is he?

Bad idea to share his name/photo anywhere. Would you want someone to do that with your name/photos?
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Did you ever meet him in the real world?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

:voilent4: A lot of people don't really go missing, they just go off the radar for a bit, often because they have to or just feel like it. If you only have one number to contact with someone and no alternative ways to contact them it's not surprising when you fall out of touch, and maybe they just want to be alone?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

ibish wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:16 pm I texted him to check what he was up to and got a response in Khmer.
What did the response in Khmer say?

If you know someone who can translate, get them to tell you what it says.

If you want, copy and paste it, and send it to me in a private message. I can respond in a private message.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

explorer wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:22 pm
ibish wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:16 pm I texted him to check what he was up to and got a response in Khmer.
What did the response in Khmer say?

If you know someone who can translate, get them to tell you what it says.

If you want, copy and paste it, and send it to me in a private message. I can respond in a private message.
There is also this thing called google translate, where you copy and paste some text in the box, select the language you want to translate from and to, and by a combination of magic/luck and sheer willpower, the magic box changes the squiggly lines in to actual words. Incredible :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic