No fee Mastercard ATM in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

No fee Mastercard ATM in Cambodia?

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Is there any no fee Mastercard atm? ?

A year or 2 ago MB bank was free and I used my Mastercard there. But now they only accept Visa.

So what are the remaining options pleeese? 😉
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: No fee Mastercard ATM

Post by Ravensnest »

I apologize for not having info to help, any idea if they do not a charge a fee for visa?
Still here, in country...
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:01 am I apologize for not having info to help, any idea if they do not a charge a fee for visa?
Well over a year ago they didn't.

Back on topic, FREE MASTERCARD ATM.

Anone? 😀
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I never understand this reluctance to pay an ATM fee - I mean cool if it is free and all, but you're probably going to blow a couple of bucks on a really shit beer or tuk-tuk anyway, so why not just go for convenience, use any Mastercard ATM and get on with life?

It is like some wealthier folks I know who can afford a fee, yet still talk about changing up $500 at Ly Hour to get the best rate, versus just taking money out of an ATM and probably getting hit for a $5 difference on exchange rate ... but the convenience & time saved versus standing in a Ly Hour queue waiting for the best rate, for a guy who earns more per hour than any saving he's going to make.

Looks at stunned silence on the forum... I'm the crazy one aren't I?! :facepalm:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

of course it's the principal
err, principle

monstra mihi bona!
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

My understanding is that the ATM doesn’t come “free”, as the bank who provides the ATM service will collect a fee from the bank that issued the Visa or MasterCard.
Paying $5 fee is not a big deal, but I would definitely use an ATM with no fees if available around Image
Spigzy wrote:I never understand this reluctance to pay an ATM fee - I mean cool if it is free and all, but you're probably going to blow a couple of bucks on a really shit beer or tuk-tuk anyway, so why not just go for convenience, use any Mastercard ATM and get on with life?

It is like some wealthier folks I know who can afford a fee, yet still talk about changing up $500 at Ly Hour to get the best rate, versus just taking money out of an ATM and probably getting hit for a $5 difference on exchange rate ... but the convenience & time saved versus standing in a Ly Hour queue waiting for the best rate, for a guy who earns more per hour than any saving he's going to make.

Looks at stunned silence on the forum... I'm the crazy one aren't I?! :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

MB Bank (Military Bank of Vietnam) is still free for Mastercard, AFAIK.

EDIT: the ATM at Mekong River Restaurant just spat out both my MCs with no reason given so perhaps you are right. Or else it's out of order yet again. I made a successful withdrawal on 19 July so if they have dropped Mastercard it must have been pretty recently. I'll try one of their ATMs at the branch on Monivong sometime.

Apart from that, the next cheapest ATM I have used was $4 - trying to remember which one it was.
Last edited by timmydownawell on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

with the thousands I have paid in fees over time? you're damn right I'd use a specific ATM if there was no fee. The best way I know around the fees (if you're from the US anyhow) is to open up an account with a bank that will reimburse 100% ATM fees. Several credit unions do that that I'm aware of but I failed to think of it before I moved here.
Still here, in country...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:54 pm MB Bank (Military Bank of Vietnam) is still free for Mastercard, AFAIK.

EDIT: the ATM at Mekong River Restaurant just spat out both my MCs with no reason given so perhaps you are right. Or else it's out of order yet again. I made a successful withdrawal on 19 July so if they have dropped Mastercard it must have been pretty recently. I'll try one of their ATMs at the branch on Monivong sometime.

Apart from that, the next cheapest ATM I have used was $4 - trying to remember which one it was.
MB Bank moved their office in Monivong to a new place in Norodom 2 weeks ago. Soon after they moved they had signs up on the ATMs on Monivong and also the Mekong River one saying 'Out of order' or such like and their new address included. Now I don't know whether this is temporary or not. I'm guessing the Mekong one will stay but maybe the Monivong ones won't.

Now the address is #146 Norodom but on google maps it shows the wrong location. Their website wasn't helpful. Then I looked up their FB (post of 9 August) and they had a mud map there.

I've been there a couple of times and withdrawn money...only issue, there's only 1 ATM outside it seems!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:22 pm MB Bank moved their office in Monivong to a new place in Norodom 2 weeks ago. Soon after they moved they had signs up on the ATMs on Monivong and also the Mekong River one saying 'Out of order' or such like and their new address included. Now I don't know whether this is temporary or not. I'm guessing the Mekong one will stay but maybe the Monivong ones won't.

Now the address is #146 Norodom but on google maps it shows the wrong location. Their website wasn't helpful. Then I looked up their FB (post of 9 August) and they had a mud map there.

I've been there a couple of times and withdrawn money...only issue, there's only 1 ATM outside it seems!
Well that's inconvenient. Their FB map puts it opposite Street 334, is that right? The ATM at Mekong River is out of order very, very frequently.

There also used to be another ATM on the other side of Monivong about 200m further down but I went to use it out of desperation a few months ago and it had been removed.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic