SangSom available ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ori
Tourist
Australia

SangSom available ?

Post by Ori »

Hey Guys,

Anyone know if SangSom is available in Phnom Penh ?

Thanks.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: SangSom available ?

Post by Kayve »

I know about Samsung but I'm not sure about Sangsom ?

What is it ? Brand, food, person ??? :please:
Don't forget the water buffalo
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ori wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 pm Hey Guys,

Anyone know if SangSom is available in Phnom Penh ?

Thanks.
I am sure I have seen it, but to be fare that may have been up in Koh Kong, and that is near the Thai border. I would try the Thai Huot supermarkets.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Kayve wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:10 pm I know about Samsung but I'm not sure about Sangsom ?

Google says it might be a rum. Alternatively it is "Moonlight" in Thai...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kayve wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:10 pm I know about Samsung but I'm not sure about Sangsom ?

I searched but only found it on Amazon for sale. but I would think it should be here. I hope where talking the same!

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ori
Tourist
Australia

Post by Ori »

[/quote]
I searched but only found it on Amazon for sale. but I would think it should be here. I hope where talking the same!

[/quote]

That's the one. A rum that is made in Thailand.
I'm not sure why but I can't see it on Amazon like you.

I have enquired at many of the bars around the riverside area, checked local supermarkets and convenience stores but with no luck.

Thanks for the tip about Thai Huot superMarket. I'll go have a look.

Cheers.
jrjrjr
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jrjrjr »

Is it good ? don't they have similar in Kow ?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

There was a time when you could have a beach hut on a beach in some parts of Thailand essentially for free if you took your meals from your accommodation hosts. I remember coming to a deal with one hut owner on Koh Phangan many moon (s) parties ago on Han Sedat where I'd just buy breakfast and a half bottle of SangSom from him every day. It became a ritual for quite a while after that, that whenever I arrived into Bangkok the first thing I'd do would be drink a half bottle on Khao San road or Rambutri.

Ori
Tourist
Australia

Post by Ori »

Breakfast and half a bottle of Sangsom! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day :Yahoo!:

I've grown quite partial to it and miss it since I moved from Thailand.

@jrjrjr
It's distilled from molasses and aged in charred oak barrels for five years before bottling. It's picked up a few awards over the years.

You might be onto something. I just googled and came across a locally made product called Samai Gold Rum. I am all for supporting locally made products. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one.

Appreciate the help.
Cheers.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Good to see another Sangsom fan, I had been meaning to have a hunt for it. Though I prefer to keep spirits as a once in a blue-moon thing. In Thailand though, the price compared to beer actually encourages hard liquor consumption. Nice way to spend an afternoon, wandering around with a 7/11 big cup full of ice, coke, soda and a few shots. By the way, ever tried that Filipino "Tanduay" rum, i got to like it when I visited S-ville but haven't seen it since.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic