History of building now FCC (Phnom Penh)?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
allehall
Tourist
United States of America

History of building now FCC (Phnom Penh)?

Post by allehall »

I'm writing a novel set 1992/1993 in Phnom Penh. I want to know about the building that is now The F - what was it like before the renovation. Indeed, what was it? Thanks for any help.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: History of building now FCC (Phnom Penh)?

Post by John Bingham »

It was an adjoining pair of Chinese shophouses which were tacked together and given a "colonial" look around 1993. I have pictures of it from that time when it was being converted. It was a popular hangout for journalists in the early 90s until the parent company fucked everyone around. Since then most serious journalists have avoided the place.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Well before my time, but after a very quick google search I have discovered that the building was called "Quai Marx-Lenin" when the FCC signed the lease. Hope that might help you get started.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 pm It was an adjoining pair of Chinese shophouses which were tacked together and given a "colonial" look around 1993. I have pictures of it from that time when it was being converted. It was a popular hangout for journalists in the early 90s until the parent company fucked everyone around. Since then most serious journalists have avoided the place.
I love your insights and knowledge of the old days @John Bingham. Never knew the "colonial look" was given just 7 years before I first arrived here.

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of that particular corner before the FCC took over, so if you can share them, please do.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic