Diving, Diving, Diving

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Diving, Diving, Diving

Post by WildA »

My kid just showed up, shes barred from returning to her school in China until "further notice from the Government" and now has to teach a full class schedule online, so after 50 days of enforced beach bumming and diving in the Phillipines, off the plane hops this absolutely raggedyass backpacker chick that was once my child. Daddy has a couch, Daddy pays the rent, Daddy has a laptop, Daddy can cook, so she in in business.

She figures shes going to be here at least through May. Becasue Daddy put his foot down, she may just have to buy her own laptop as per: Oh this is great, I just need to find dive places with Wifi and I can take your laptop, right?

No.

She has an Advanced Open Water I think and has been living in China for three years and basically has been everywhere in SE Asia so she knows the ropes of how to travel....she still is able to tolerate things like night busses, hostels, sand fleas, cold water showers and backpacker stank. Yes Dad, I know I look like shit but I dont smell do I ? And YOU snore. I can hear you through the walls. Im going to stay at this $100 night Spa tonight to get away from all of you snoring pigs and Im getting room service and a massage and makeover so Ill see you in the morning, make sure you kick the hooker out before I get there. And you smoke too much weed and are too fat, thats why you snore. Bye. I didnt have time to wash the dishes and thanks for doing my laundry, I didnt have time to fold yours, I needed to get my nails done.

What a wonderful child!

With that background, any diving reccomendations for her in Cambodia? Good places with good staff. Is Snookyville still a mess? Luxury is fine she has plenty of money and nothing to spend it on except diving. I think she wants to stay in Cambodia right now to avoid possible passport complications so she figures that every week or so, she will fly to PP and go from there. Or take the bus.

Any advice appreciated.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Diving, Diving, Diving

Post by phuketrichard »

forget Cambodia, tell her to make her way, (or book online) to Khao Lak or Phuket an get on a live aboard dive trip to the Similans and Burma banks.

PS: advanced open water doesn't mean much. After you have ur open water card its only another 2 days, 5 dive class,( and apx $300) to get the advanced card.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:35 am forget Cambodia, tell her to make her way, (or book online) to Khao Lak or Phuket an get on a live aboard dive trip to the Similans and Burma banks.

PS: advanced open water doesn't mean much. After you have ur open water card its only another 2 days, 5 dive class,( and apx $300) to get the advanced card.
She doesnt want to go to Thailand right now. If I was wondering about Thai opportunities, I would have posted a question on a Thai board.. Are you a diver too then?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

WildA wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:16 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:35 am forget Cambodia, tell her to make her way, (or book online) to Khao Lak or Phuket an get on a live aboard dive trip to the Similans and Burma banks.

She doesnt want to go to Thailand right now. If I was wondering about Thai opportunities, I would have posted a question on a Thai board.. Are you a diver too then?
was, have my dive masters card since 1989
The Similans are great diving, world class and the live aboards are luxury nowadays
Did some diving off Koh Rong back in 2009. overpriced for what you get/see
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
GreenMeat
Tourist
United States of America

Post by GreenMeat »

Don't bother diving in Cambodia.
I dived Koh Rong 2 years ago, and Koh Tong on an overnight boat trip last year. Both not worth it because the sea has been stripped of virtually all fish. It really is an ecological disaster.
Just to give weight to my opinion, I've dived almost every major dive site in Asia, many in the Caribbean and have 450+ dives and have never seen anything like it, even in the Philippines where the underwater environment there is under tremendous stress.
Underwater topography, visibility and coral were good but absolutely no fish larger than a few centimeters long. Extremely disappointing to dive.
Go to the Phi Phi Islands in Thailand. Kudos to the Thai for aggressively protecting and patrolling their marine sanctuaries. Fantastic diving.
“All find solace in the tomb”
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Here's my recommendation for diving . I lived most of my life not far from the Tutukaka base where all the boats operate from. Very deep , cold water but very clear. And plenty of fish.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrS_Ap ... BIZbQizww-
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Guys please, and thanks @GreenMeat for the advice on Cambo, but again, she isnt t going outside of Cambo for the next few months to avoid future travel problems. So any more on Cambo would be appreciated, not NZ or Thailand.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Enjoy the time with her
Always "hope" but never "expect".
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

if you persuaded her to go to thailand she would be out of your hair and you bank balance......Win Win
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

pczz wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:40 am if you persuaded her to go to thailand she would be out of your hair and you bank balance......Win Win
Well clearly having ones daughter around surely affects my ability to bring some hooker back to my crib for a good solid jackhammering from the screaming pulverizer of passion, but family comes first.

Thailand wouldnt be bad, but she cant go.... yet. Id love it if she went diving next weekend IN CAMBODIA so I can slobber over the mossy grotto of some clueless nymphet, so any help would be......well helpful! I have a French tourist who looks suitable, so........

She went for her spavacation this weekend and I scored twic eso I like to repeat next weekend.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic