Has anybody married a Khmer girl in Thailand?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
brolindevine
Tourist
Canada

Has anybody married a Khmer girl in Thailand?

Post by brolindevine »

Has anybody successfully married a Khmer girl in Thailand? Last time I was in Cambodia for a few months my girlfriend (who is Khmer) and I tried to get married but I couldn't get my documents together without a trip back to Canada. No I can't visit for more than two weeks at a time because that's how long my work will allow me for vacation. I hear it only takes 3-5 days for a Thai wedding. I know Cambodia won't recognize the marriage, but Canada will.
Has anybody successfully done this?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Has anybody married a Khmer girl in Thailand?

Post by phuketrichard »

the Cambodian embassy wont issue the paper saying the girl is single, tell you to go to Cambodia,
Try Japan or HK where it is not needed with government stamp

In Thailand you can get married, ( once u have ur paperwork which takes a few days in Bangkok getting translations) 10 minutes at the local amphur office
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
joel.sand-frost
Tourist

Post by joel.sand-frost »

But how to marry in thailand then if the embassy won't stamp any birth certificate? I called them today.
Do you have any experience in this or have you heard about how to get around this? Is it possible with a bribe or is it sufficient to just translate the birth certificate which is already stamped at her sankat?

Thank you

Best regards
Joel
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:31 am the Cambodian embassy wont issue the paper saying the girl is single, tell you to go to Cambodia,

In Thailand you can get married, ( once u have ur paperwork which takes a few days in Bangkok getting translations) 10 minutes at the local amphur office
Does the document saying that she is single have to come from the Embassy? Supposedly the local commune will do this and it's not very difficult to get.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

joel.sand-frost wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:54 pm But how to marry in thailand then if the embassy won't stamp any birth certificate? I called them today.
Do you have any experience in this or have you heard about how to get around this? Is it possible with a bribe or is it sufficient to just translate the birth certificate which is already stamped at her sankat?

Thank you

Best regards
Joel
Where did you hear that you need a stamped birth certificate? Normally the original birth certificate from the original source (in Cambodia's case, their commune) should be sufficient.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:38 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:31 am the Cambodian embassy wont issue the paper saying the girl is single, tell you to go to Cambodia,

Does the document saying that she is single have to come from the Embassy? Supposedly the local commune will do this and it's not very difficult to get.
If your trying to get married over seas you use the Embassy, they wont issue it
Correct, IF ur planning on marrying in Cambodia
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

It’s not about any birth certificate (the Cambodian embassy won’t sign it off anyway) it’s a single status certificate which you can’t get and even if you were to get married overseas it’s not recognised here.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The certificate of non-impediment/single status needed from Cambodia is called the "Certificate of Celibacy, Widowhood or Divorce", and in Khmer, លិខិតបញ្ជាក់នៅលីវ មេម៉ាយ ឬ ពោះម៉ាយ

This document is only obtainable from the persons registered Sangkat, in Cambodia.

The MoFAIC in Cambodia and Cambodian Embassies/Consulates will not certify copies and translations of this document for the purpose of Cambodian Nationals to marry outside of Cambodia.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:33 pm The certificate of non-impediment/single status needed from Cambodia is called the "Certificate of Celibacy, Widowhood or Divorce", and in Khmer, លិខិតបញ្ជាក់នៅលីវ មេម៉ាយ ឬ ពោះម៉ាយ

This document is only obtainable from the persons registered Sangkat, in Cambodia.

The MoFAIC in Cambodia and Cambodian Embassies/Consulates will not certify copies and translations of this document for the purpose of Cambodian Nationals to marry outside of Cambodia.
So If I'm getting this correctly, the Thai government requires this document, but the MoFAIC and Embassies won't certify it, meaning that marriage in Thailand is not possible for a Cambodian.

Seems like there are a lot of issues related to marriage documentation with the Cambodian government. Wonder if this is common around the world or unique to Cambodia.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Simply put, the Cambodian Govt. don't want their Citizens to get married abroad, and they've been very transparent about that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic