Mail service for expats

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Mail service for expats

Post by DoRightByThem »

Can my family mail me stuff? For instance my green tea bags, garlic and artemisinin pills tiger balm, mixed nuts etc. I know UPS or FedEx will deliver and it can get spendy really fast but I’m fanatical about my supplements and tea lol. Some places have import bans or regs, but I just wanted to see what the camboexpat community has seen or done.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Mail service for expats

Post by Anchor Moy »

I think you will find there's plenty of tiger balm in Cambodia. :D
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Why? You can get all that stuff here.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The tea might be a bit tricky
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

As a Brit I’m very keen to understand which tea is on your list! :-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

I have had several parcels shipped to Phnom Penh via regular mail from various countries, including the UK and Australia.

When shipping via regular mail, I always have the sender use registered mail to get a tracking code.
I use my home address and have my phone number written directly under the address.

They heve never actually delivered to my home addrsss, but keep the mail at the GPO and call me up instead. I then go to the GPO and, using the tracking code, get my stuff.

Sometimes they don’t ring, but they seem to write all registered mail into a small book and can check when your drop by.

No parcel ever went missing. I am happy with the service.

Supplements from the US, I have so far only had sent via DHL. DHL works great, but they aren’t cheap.

As to the supplements mentioned in the OP: All of the mentioned ones should be readily available in Cambodia, except perhaps for the garlic pills.

But we’ve got plenty of garlic here. :-)

Make sure you only send legal stuff. I would only ship in the original container so everyone can clearly see what is being sent.

They do check and some people have found the authorities waiting for them when they came to pick up their stuff at the GPO.
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Post by DoRightByThem »

Thanks for all the replies.

I’ll leave the tiger balm at home
I’ll leave it to chance and find my tea in SR

How well does CamboQuik work?
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Post by DoRightByThem »

yongchi wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:40 pm I have had several parcels shipped to Phnom Penh via regular mail from various countries, including the UK and Australia.

When shipping via regular mail, I always have the sender use registered mail to get a tracking code.
I use my home address and have my phone number written directly under the address.

They heve never actually delivered to my home addrsss, but keep the mail at the GPO and call me up instead. I then go to the GPO and, using the tracking code, get my stuff.

Sometimes they don’t ring, but they seem to write all registered mail into a small book and can check when your drop by.

No parcel ever went missing. I am happy with the service.

Supplements from the US, I have so far only had sent via DHL. DHL works great, but they aren’t cheap.

As to the supplements mentioned in the OP: All of the mentioned ones should be readily available in Cambodia, except perhaps for the garlic pills.

But we’ve got plenty of garlic here. :-)

Make sure you only send legal stuff. I would only ship in the original container so everyone can clearly see what is being sent.

They do check and some people have found the authorities waiting for them when they came to pick up their stuff at the GPO.
This is very helpful dude
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Garlic pills & a bunch of lesser known supplements are available at Pharmacie de la Gare, which as the name implies is by the railway station. If you can call it that.

Mixed nuts I get at Thai Huot by the kg.

Artemisinin is a bit of a weird one, seems to be an anti-Malaria tablet? You won't need that unless you're planning some serious (and I mean absolutely deep jungle serious) trekking. If using as an anti-cancer pill, then not so sure - there's a lot of Chinese medicine shops - bring a picture of the plant (wormwood?) and they'll probably have what you want.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Now, about that tea ... ;)