Anyone running their own solar system?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Anyone running their own solar system?

Post by StroppyChops »

Thanks to the generosity of an Australian foundation, we're about to put in a small solar system to deal with the blackouts. It's unreasonable to go totally off-grid at the moment (after all, where would the landlord steal his power from?) so I'm planning on running in a completely separate system to our mains power. The plan is to provide fans and lighting, and clean power for the computers initially, and then add to the system to run the fridge. We're not going to try and power the ACs, although we hope to add the dehydrator in the soap curing room which has a fairly deep draw.

I'm looking at 1 to 3 panels, and 1 to 2 deep cycle 100AH batteries, the solar charge controller, and inverter as a starter. Fortunately we have unused top floor balcony for the panels, so we don't have to mount to the roof.

Is anyone else using solar for partial or complete supply yet, or have the knowledge for setting a system up?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Anyone running their own solar system?

Post by timmydownawell »

I've thought about this too, but not where I live right now, maybe later. Just for the important stuff, modem/router, TV, Android box and a fan.

There are some places that advertise on FB like Solar Energy Cambodia who sell small systems like this as packages, so you don't need to figure out what panels, charge controller, inverter and batteries by yourself. I don't think anyone sells Li-Ion batteries here so if using lead acid you shouldn't drain them fully, so you'll need twice as much capacity.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 pm I've thought about this too, but not where I live right now, maybe later. Just for the important stuff, modem/router, TV, Android box and a fan.

There are some places that advertise on FB like Solar Energy Cambodia who sell small systems like this as packages, so you don't need to figure out what panels, charge controller, inverter and batteries by yourself. I don't think anyone sells Li-Ion batteries here so if using lead acid you shouldn't drain them fully, so you'll need twice as much capacity.
Yeah, there's a stampede of people trying to catch the gravy train on FB at the moment, I've followed a half-dozen of them just to get an eye in. Most of them are come-lately's but there are a few actual 'professional' outlets, with 100-200W panels around the $100-130 mark, and other parts at similar to Aliexpress pricing for identical products. Li-ion batteries are rare but available, and you're going to pay through the nostrils for them. Gel batteries are available, around $130 per 100AH.

Interestingly an ex-workmate from Australia contacted me within 12 hours of this funding hitting our account to ask if I had any use for a grid-tie 100W inverter.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I thought you might have been building something like this.

You should get some batteries from Elon Musk.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:44 pm I thought you might have been building something like this.
I figured someone would go there, and there would be Uranus jokes.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Not the same, but I have a small panel with a small controller connected to my car battery in Australia. When I go home, I can just turn the key and drive. Years ago I needed to buy a new battery when I returned to Australia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Just a thought. If your batteries are 12 volt, you could consider going to 12 volt lights. I Australia, you can buy 12 volt refrigerators and televisions, but they may not be so common in Cambodia. You can also buy 12 volt power supplies for notebook computers, and 12 volt phone chargers. Then you only need to use your inverter for those things which are not 12 volt.

I know with some systems the batteries are more than 12 volt.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:42 am Just a thought. If your batteries are 12 volt, you could consider going to 12 volt lights. I Australia, you can buy 12 volt refrigerators and televisions, but they may not be so common in Cambodia. You can also buy 12 volt power supplies for notebook computers, and 12 volt phone chargers. Then you only need to use your inverter for those things which are not 12 volt.

I know with some systems the batteries are more than 12 volt.
The problem with this is power loss unless the cable length from the batteries to the appliances is short or you use very thick copper (expensive). Stroppy's had a thread about this before? But if you have a short run you could have some 12V lights etc. 12V fridges are so much more expensive you may as well run a regular one on an inverter.

And yes you can have 24V, 48V systems etc by wiring the batteries in series (and then in parallel). Depends on the size of your system as to which is best.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Obviously anything anyone does which is different is experimental.

I have run 12 volt LED lights on 7 volts. Each brand of LED light may be different, but they do work on a wide voltage range.

LED lights are ideal as they use less power.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:41 am Obviously anything anyone does which is different is experimental.

I have run 12 volt LED lights on 7 volts. Each brand of LED light may be different, but they do work on a wide voltage range.

LED lights are ideal as they use less power.
That is wrong LEDs are voltage sensitive.
Unlike typical low-voltage lighting products, getting the voltage slightly wrong in an LED-based system is a bigger problem for the LED. Because LEDs are extremely sensitive to under- or over-voltage.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic