52 year old U.K. citizen and 27 year old South African citizen wife : how easy stay in country?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
taruwinga123
Tourist
Great Britain

52 year old U.K. citizen and 27 year old South African citizen wife : how easy stay in country?

Post by taruwinga123 »

As above Cambodia is an option we are looking at as we want to settle permanent in a country without having to keep moving around .
How easy / costly to get visa in Cambodia eg retirement for me and other half piggy backs on it like in Thailand? How much need in bank?
Few pointers to be able to stay permanent without having to keep leaving every few months or years or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 52 year old U.K. citizen and 27 year old South African citizen wife : how easy stay in country?

Post by phuketrichard »

not easy as ur wife nor you, ( retired in Camboida is 55), wont be able to get long stay visa UNLESS your working
6 months, maybe a year on EG extensions and than......
no piggy backing like thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: 52 year old U.K. citizen and 27 year old South African citizen wife : how easy stay in country?

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I'm not married but I wasn't aware foreign wives of foreigners in Thailand get any special visa advantages compared to any other foreign tourist/resident ? They are treated as individual are they not ? The married couples I know certainly go through the same visa process.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:02 pm I'm not married but I wasn't aware foreign wives of foreigners in Thailand get any special visa advantages compared to any other foreign tourist/resident ? They are treated as individual are they not ? The married couples I know certainly go through the same visa process.
if ur over 50 and on a retirement extension ur foreign wife can tag on to ur extension, no additional money needed in bank. Got a few friends that do that..
Same if husband /wife is working in Thailand and on B extension , husband/ wife can tag along on it.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:06 pm
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:02 pm I'm not married but I wasn't aware foreign wives of foreigners in Thailand get any special visa advantages compared to any other foreign tourist/resident ? They are treated as individual are they not ? The married couples I know certainly go through the same visa process.
if ur over 50 and on a retirement extension ur foreign wife can tag on to ur extension, no additional money needed in bank. Got a few friends that do that..
Same if husband /wife is working in Thailand and on B extension , husband/ wife can tag along on it.
That's interesting, does that mean they have the same movement rights, 90 day report, re-entry permit if they leave. I'm curious as I know someone who just did his first retirement and I'm sure was talking about his wife who is aproaching 50 getting hers and saying 2 lots of 800k, would save him hassle and more money locked up. What's it called and do they pay the same 1.900 ?
Apologies for slight derail OP.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:23 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:06 pm
That's interesting, does that mean they have the same movement rights, 90 day report, re-entry permit if they leave. I'm curious as I know someone who just did his first retirement and I'm sure was talking about his wife who is aproaching 50 getting hers and saying 2 lots of 800k, would save him hassle and more money locked up. What's it called and do they pay the same 1.900 ?
Apologies for slight derail OP.
yes
dependent visa/extension
yes,1,900
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Looks like OP has had 3 bites of the cherry at this :stir:

post288606.html#p288606

post315246.html#p315246
taruwinga123
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by taruwinga123 »

Yes I’ve had bites as we are looking for a place to settle and good to get an all round experiences view from
You guys who have been there and done it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic