Pay the man

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Pay the man

Post by Tarndog »

I have a friend who works independently, or somewhat so with some other Khmer guy, installing or fixing machinery at factories.

Currently, he (himself) has outstanding receivables from these factories and owners of $2200, $6000, $4000, and others, some older than 6 months. Obviously, they just never reply to my friends text messages asking for money. A myriad of excuses just keep coming, either from the owners of the factories or my friends Khmer associate.

Unfortunately, he has been trusting his Khmer pseudo partner to get the money from the jobs they do. I think we all know how that will turn out, and yes, it has.

Are there any civil avenues to try to get this money? I gave him some ideas, one of which was to put him in touch with some nefarious, old-school tuktuk drivers who that carry machetes and wouldn't blink an eye at using it if it meant getting a couple hundred dollars.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Pay the man

Post by Duncan »

Tell him to go back and reinstate the machinery to it's original condition..
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Did your friend get any contracts signed before fixing whatever needed to be fixed? If yes, he can give some tea money to the relevant authorities and eventually get his money. If the companies that fucked him over are pretty big here and do business with other foreigners, just tell your friend to let others know not to do business with them.

Does your friend have good connections in Cambodia? Like a RCAF retard or what not.

The tuk-tuk driver thing is a terrible idea. They will snitch on your foreign friend in a heartbeat when shit hits the fan.

Btw, his partner may have pocketed the money.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

why didnt he take a 20% deposit before the job & the remainder after completion
thru shit to more shit
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Certainly, my friend can be blamed for a few things, such as trusting a Khmer and/or businessman to honor a verbal agreement when they have to pay money, not having a contract, not being wise enough to get a down payment, etc.

I've tried telling him this, and that nice guys finish last, especially here.

I also told him to leave one thing unfinished until 100% of the money is in hand. With electronics, I'm sure he could do a number of things that would be easy to connect once payment had been received.

Let's see if he learns anything from his experiences.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If his Cambodian partner is involved in the scam, which he probably is, the only way to stop this is to disassociate from him.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:36 pm If his Cambodian partner is involved in the scam, which he probably is, the only way to stop this is to disassociate from him.
Good for you. You answered a question that wasn't even asked.

Have another crack at the OP. Thrill us with your acumen.
Tarndog wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:51 pm Are there any civil avenues to try to get this money?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic