Rope Ladders

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Rope Ladders

Post by Doc67 »

Anyone know where I can buy a rope ladder in PP?

I live on the 3rd floor with one stairwell. I've been doing some risk assessment and basically it's not looking good.

As always, many thanks in advance...
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rope Ladders

Post by Paulo »

I don't know of place locally but there are options online with free shipping.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:23 am Anyone know where I can buy a rope ladder in PP?

I live on the 3rd floor with one stairwell. I've been doing some risk assessment and basically it's not looking good.

Abseil down using a length of 11mm rope, with harness and descendeur.

Could enquire about climbing gear here: http://www.rinco-kh.com/climbing-gears.html

Also maybe here: http://www.phnomclimb.com/outdoor-climbing.html

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:23 am Anyone know where I can buy a rope ladder in PP?

I was in the same situation in a previous apartment, only 1 egress, in the event of a fire blocking that egress point the only option was going over the terrace or the rear balcony. I found a basic rope ladder at O'Russey Market, just showed a picture around and eventually got pointed in the right direction.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

I have a harness and ATC for sale. Pm me.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Just jump like they do in Thailand. (Even when there’s no fire, just practicing)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:22 am

Abseil down using a length of 11mm rope, with harness and descendeur.

Could enquire about climbing gear here: http://www.rinco-kh.com/climbing-gears.html

Also maybe here: http://www.phnomclimb.com/outdoor-climbing.html

Hmmm... 52 years old, 105kg, 3am, probably drunk, smoke filled building, cacking myself...
Then try to loop ropes through loops, get into a harness, climb over balcony and then hope it's all rigged correctly and then make my maiden jump...
What could possibly go wrong?
I'll probably end up hanging myself and die from a heart attack (as usual)
I'm think I'm going to hold out for a rope ladder...
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

For me it would be my preferred method and I'm much older than 52, but then again i've done a lot of abseiling and ladder climbing in caves. Whatever you do practice your escape. As a matter of interest have you climbed rope ladders over any height? Its not that straight forward. I would much rather abseil than climb down a rope ladder without a safety line. Don't forget you're not going to fall of the rope but you could fall of a ladder :D
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Yeah learn to use a prussik loop and practice in advance to entertain the neighbours
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:31 pm some risk assessment and basically it's not looking good.

Hmmm... 52 years old, 105kg, 3am, probably drunk, smoke filled building, cacking myself...
Then try to loop ropes through loops, get into a harness, climb over balcony and then hope it's all rigged correctly and then make my maiden jump...
What could possibly go wrong?
I'll probably end up hanging myself and die from a heart attack (as usual)
I'm think I'm going to hold out for a rope ladder...
Out of interest, have you ever used a rope ladder in anger without all of those social/physical impediments listed above?

It may be the last thought before you land slap bang in the middle of a tuk-tuk or a pile of plastic debris is "fuck! What a waste of $..."

I've been looking at the same issue for a while for a 2nd floor apartment. The recent outages have provided plenty of practice for managing uneven stairs in the dark. Not sure that the kids or SWMBO would stand much hope on their own, though. Especially when the neighbors insist on leaving their bloody flips flops on the stairs as trip hazards.*

*part of my public service efforts is to leave their bloody trip hazards in a better location(i.e. Downstairs) thus providing them with plenty of exercise.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic