Food question #2 - anyone else remember this dish?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Food question #2 - anyone else remember this dish?

Post by StroppyChops »

Question for the general population. When I was a kid I went to too many bring-and-share meals, and one woman always brought a signature dish.

It consisted of baked beans (Egnlish-style, I'm not sure what Americans think of when they say "beans") and some kind of ground/minced meat, possibly beef. It was a fairly wet dish, savoury, tasted nothing like baked beans - more like a mild taco base, and served with rice.

Anyone else know this dish? I'm chasing a recipe, although I can possibly reinvent it - just being lazy.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Food question #2 - anyone else remember this dish?

Post by RickyBobby »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:56 pm Question for the general population. When I was a kid I went to too many bring-and-share meals, and one woman always brought a signature dish.

It consisted of baked beans (Egnlish-style, I'm not sure what Americans think of when they say "beans") and some kind of ground/minced meat, possibly beef. It was a fairly wet dish, savoury, tasted nothing like baked beans - more like a mild taco base, and served with rice.

Anyone else know this dish? I'm chasing a recipe, although I can possibly reinvent it - just being lazy.
Its hard to read this without making a face; sorry. I tried, twice.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

RickyBobby wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:19 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:56 pm Question for the general population. When I was a kid I went to too many bring-and-share meals, and one woman always brought a signature dish.

Its hard to read this without making a face; sorry. I tried, twice.
What will really churn your stomach is I think I found the recipe online, WITH PHOTOS!

Edit: I'm fairly sure that lot hasn't been eaten yet.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Sounds awfully like Chilli-con-carne, made cheapo style by the packet sauce manufacturers, something like Knorr. The recipe suggested baked beans as an alternative to kidney beans.
Actually, I used to like it when I was much younger, but it was never quite as good as a decent chilli.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:29 pm Sounds awfully like Chilli-con-carne, made cheapo style by the packet sauce manufacturers, something like Knorr. The recipe suggested baked beans as an alternative to kidney beans.
Actually, I used to like it when I was much younger, but it was never quite as good as a decent chilli.
Yeah, very much the same but different. Reminds me of chili, but it's not, more savoury in flavour. I think the linked recipe is more like chili as it has hot sauce. There's a packet mix in Australia that gets pretty close, but not quite. Mrs Stroppy is away and I'm craving comfort food, apparently. I live on bacon and egg sandwiches when she's away, literally. I figured I'd better try some other fart-inducing foods for variety.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Corn beef hash?

Beans, boiled potatoes, and a tin of corned beef. Possibly some onions. I have only had the misfortune of experiecing it once. In Cumbria, on a hillside, in a tent.

Add ketchup.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

andy_morris wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:43 pm Corn beef hash?

Beans, boiled potatoes, and a tin of corned beef. Possibly some onions. I have only had the misfortune of experiecing it once. In Cumbria, on a hillside, in a tent.

Add ketchup.
No, different - definitely no tent from memory. It was back when Crock Pots were first new, and she'd show off that she had one by making this dish all the time.

Actually don't mind beef hash / any other type of smash.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

How's this one then? https://www.thespruceeats.com/crockpot- ... er-3054560

[No Rick stuff in that link :thumb: ]

More crockpot recipes here https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... gndLL7_sFc
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:50 pm How's this one then? https://www.thespruceeats.com/crockpot- ... er-3054560

[No Rick stuff in that link :thumb: ]

More crockpot recipes here https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... gndLL7_sFc
That looks more like it, but not much of that would have come out of cans in those days. Cans were for rich people!
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

What the heck does 'more savory' mean?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic