Phsar Kendal

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Phsar Kendal

Post by chiltern »

I have been told that Kendal market will be closed sometime next year in order to be rebuilt. I am just wondering if there is any truth in this as it could effect some of my plans.
Thanks
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Phsar Kendal

Post by Anchor Moy »

chiltern wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:31 pm I have been told that Kendal market will be closed sometime next year in order to be rebuilt. I am just wondering if there is any truth in this as it could effect some of my plans.
Thanks
No idea about plans, but this old thread might interest you.
newsworthy/development-plans-for-psar-kandal-t9023.html
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Here's a picture of Psah Kandal in 1953 and then from the opposite end in 1984. As you can see it was originally quite an impressive site.

And another view from the 60s with Wat Ounalom in the background:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Burger Time
Tourist

Post by Burger Time »

What street would that be running in front of it? 13/15/19 or something like that? I never knew it had a facade like that or a covered part, I've always just known it as open air stalls along Street 154 mostly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

chiltern wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:31 pm I have been told that Kendal market will be closed sometime next year in order to be rebuilt. I am just wondering if there is any truth in this as it could effect some of my plans.
Thanks
Can't come soon enough. You need gumboots to walk through that place. It's a health hazard. Not only that the land is too valuable to only have one level of occupants. Needs to be 5 or 10 stories high with parking to be viable
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

:popcorn: normally there is a fire.....
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Burger Time wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:41 am What street would that be running in front of it? 13/15/19 or something like that? I never knew it had a facade like that or a covered part, I've always just known it as open air stalls along Street 154 mostly.
I'm finding it hard to figure out but I think it's maybe street 148 in the last picture, the arched part ran along parallel to the quay. I think that open part is where the open air stalls part of the market is now.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:43 am :popcorn: normally there is a fire.....
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau
Re: Development Plans for Psar Kandal ?
Post by Anchor Moy » Wed May 25, 2016 3:43 pm

frank lee bent wrote:
Looks a real fire hazard to me.
would not be at all surprised to see it burn.
This is a concern :
She then expressed concern that if vendors did not agree on the development plans, a fire could break out in the market.

“Please help us because I am afraid that there will be a fire like at Kratie market. There is always a fire before the construction. We are afraid of the fire,” she said, referring to a fire that broke out at Kratie province’s Chhlong market last week that destroyed 35 stalls. The official cause of the fire was electrical malfunction.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/25285/ ... velopment/
The old market in Kratie town also burnt down when vendors refused to make way for a new market. These things happen. It is widely believed not to have been an accident.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

The flooding of the Kandal Market might make it too difficult to burn.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

John Bingham wrote:Here's a picture of Psah Kandal in 1953 and then from the opposite end in 1984. As you can see it was originally quite an impressive site.

And another view from the 60s with Wat Ounalom in the background:

That's cool. Never seen those shots.

Sent from my vivo 1907 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic