Cambodia-Thailand Visa Run Via Pailin?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
jefjef
Tourist
Canada

Cambodia-Thailand Visa Run Via Pailin?

Post by jefjef »

Hi all,
I need to do a visa run, in the next few days. I have an occasion to go to Pailin, and crossing the border there would be nice since it seems like as a Canadian I will not need a visa to enter Thailand. I am currently on a single entry Tourist visa extension (and I had to pay overstay to get it).

I guy from an agency told me I might have problems at the boarder, and be force to stay in thailand for some time, etc.

Can somebody tell me if there is really problem there, etc.?

Minor details: I'll be going with a relative (Khmer) who will wait for me. All I need is one month visa, and crossing the border is really the only way at this point (I spare you the story).

thanks a lot!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia-Thailand Visa Run Via Pailin?

Post by pczz »

jefjef wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:46 pm Hi all,
I need to do a visa run, in the next few days. I have an occasion to go to Pailin, and crossing the border there would be nice since it seems like as a Canadian I will not need a visa to enter Thailand. I am currently on a single entry Tourist visa extension (and I had to pay overstay to get it).

I guy from an agency told me I might have problems at the boarder, and be force to stay in thailand for some time, etc.

Can somebody tell me if there is really problem there, etc.?

Minor details: I'll be going with a relative (Khmer) who will wait for me. All I need is one month visa, and crossing the border is really the only way at this point (I spare you the story).

thanks a lot!
You can sometimes get grief at either border post if you don't stay a while so I would not literally turn round and come back. go early ciemmback late with a bag of shoppping and should be no prblem
jefjef
Tourist
Canada

Post by jefjef »

That's really useful, thank.
So not make it too obvious I'm there for the run, just to be safe.
I guess I can get a coffee and shop in the market there with USD, right? Maybe even Khmer money?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

jefjef wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:29 pm That's really useful, thank.
So not make it too obvious I'm there for the run, just to be safe.
I guess I can get a coffee and shop in the market there with USD, right? Maybe even Khmer money?
If u look poor, they can ask for 10,000 baht and a ticket out, Its. a real small border. Telling them ur just gong back to Cambodia wont work.
$$/Riel, not accepted in Thailand. I have used the Pailin border more than a few times but always with my own car to enter Thailand, very easy, nothing there.
Closest town is Pong Nam Ron
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

I would even bring 20000 Baht (or the equivalent in USD) with me when entering Thailand just to be safe.
Perhaps look for a hotel name in Chantaburi to put on the arrival form. You could even stay there for a night.

Pailin / Prum is likely going to be OK, but just in case.

Also, you can only enter Thailand visa-exempt twice a year via a land border.

Please let us know how it goes.

Safe travels.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

no reason to got to chan, Pong Nam Ron has a few small resorts/GH's,( all under 500 baht) small market and some market food at night
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jefjef
Tourist
Canada

Post by jefjef »

Gosh, that's getting scary... I dont mind bringing money and look wealthy, but it now looks like I'd better go for the Bavet border (vietnam). Difference is I need to get a visa first (2 days + 40$) because I am Canadian. I was hoping that Pailin would make all this easier, but not..

So i guess I'll get a bus/taxi going to Han Oi and return ticket the same day. A guy at an agency told me the company would be OK dropping me at the border so I can catch the early afternoon bus back in Cambodia instead of going all the way to Han Oi. Does that looks like a sound alternative? (I am currently in PP).

I'm a bit surprised that there are not (or very little) local companies offering visa runs... I guess the need was not there until recently?

PS: Pailin, I was going with a Khmer relative who would have dropped me at the border so I can cross by foot, etc. And then wait for me or come back to pick me up and drive to town where I can catch a bus to PP. From what I am reading, this wont look good in Pailin... (I haven't been in Thailand in 3 years).

Thanks again!
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

You may be confusing Hanoi with Ho Chi Minh City
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The route you intend to choose (Pailin) is not very popular because:

- it's a hassle to go there (Pailin border) and come back
- it might be a hassle at the border (both leaving and coming back)
- it's limited to two crossings a year
- flying to Bangkok is much more convenient (80 USD up return if you plan in advance) and not crazy expensive as it used to be
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I posed this question to a Khmer friend who has a travel agency just off the riverside. If I were to do a visa run, as a UK citizen, he assured me all I would need to do is head to the VN border, enter VN on a 15 day free visa, go for a coffee, exit VN, re-enter Cambodia. I asked him if the border control people would question me and he said “no.. why would they?”

Of course as a Canadian you may not be entitled to the 15 day free visa but disregarding that fact and just looking at same day re-entries it would seem feasible. Hell, if I am bored this weekend I may even take a ride out to the border to try it...it’ll only cost me the gas there and back (multiple entry Cambodian visa + free 15 days in VN) and it’s a ride out :) worst case I have to crash at a g/h overnight and head back Sunday morning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic