Lightweight suitcases in Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Lightweight suitcases in Penh

Post by pczz »

At home i can buy big wheeled suitcase made of cloth and weighing around 2kg under $50.
I have hubted high and low in Penh. Aeon has some plastic ones weighing in at 3kg for $375
Local shops ahve badly made ones weighing around 5kg
Anyone know wher you can buy something light and not extortionate. Even a big tote bag with wheels?
I have baggage allowanse for 30kg but my case are so heavy they weigh 10kg :-(
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Lightweight suitcases in Penh

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Dufflebags.

I always fly with one army surplus dufflebags and one suitcase for more fragile items.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

I got a pretty decent suitcase at the Central Market. Coming from St. 63, cross the street, walk towards the market, and then turn right just before you would enter the main building. Mine was around $30 for a medium size. They had both hard-case and textile in different qualities. The large ones go for slightly more. Plenty of choices.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

In my opinion the best suitcases you can buy:

https://www.rimowa.com/de/en/gifts-us/c ... ml#start=1
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

hanno wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:27 am In my opinion the best suitcases you can buy:

At 4.3kg and $700 it doesn't really suit the original brief....

I think Rimowa make lovely cases but I wouldn't buy one for checked luggage as I have seen too many looking wrecked on the luggage carousel. As carry on they are lovely pieces of art
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

pczz wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:53 pm At home i can buy big wheeled suitcase made of cloth and weighing around 2kg under $50.
I have hubted high and low in Penh. Aeon has some plastic ones weighing in at 3kg for $375
Local shops ahve badly made ones weighing around 5kg
Anyone know wher you can buy something light and not extortionate. Even a big tote bag with wheels?
I have baggage allowanse for 30kg but my case are so heavy they weigh 10kg :-(
Spinners come in at least 3 different types of plastic
Worst is ABT, then Polypropilene PP, then Polycarbonate PC.
I have a PP. Heavy but tough. PP has a thick waxy feel. About $130 in LOS in 2018. Giordano, HK fashion brand, but for sure they outsource their suitcase line
A cheap ABT can cost around $60 and last 1-2 years. Bought one the French big box store Big C was Carrefour. They are in LOS.
Most of those you will find in KOW will be unknown Chinese brands.
HK is the only place I have found aluminum on sale in shops. That would be in the 375 range
Considering what those wonderful simian baggage handlers do to luggage at airports, expect any roller to last no more than 2 years.
My opinion now: not worth spending over $100.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Element6 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:45 am
hanno wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:27 am In my opinion the best suitcases you can buy:

I think Rimowa make lovely cases but I wouldn't buy one for checked luggage as I have seen too many looking wrecked on the luggage carousel. As carry on they are lovely pieces of art
Have used all 3 of mine for 10+ years and no worries at all. Unlike my previous Samsonites that had a lifespan of less than a year. Not cheap, but you won't find a much lighter rigid suitcase and they hold amazing amounts of stuff.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hanno wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:47 am
Element6 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:45 am

Have used all 3 of mine for 10+ years and no worries at all. Unlike my previous Samsonites that had a lifespan of less than a year. Not cheap, but you won't find a much lighter rigid suitcase and they hold amazing amounts of stuff.

After 10 years they are out of fashion, besides it's a throw-a-way world where you buy a cheepie and recycle it at the end of your trip. I have half a dozen here that will not win in the fashion awards,, of various sizes and the op is welcome to one if it suits the purpose of him transporting something from A to B.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:02 amAfter 10 years they are out of fashion, besides it's a throw-a-way world where you buy a cheepie and recycle it at the end of your trip. I have half a dozen here that will not win in the fashion awards,, of various sizes and the op is welcome to one if it suits the purpose of him transporting something from A to B.

Every time I travel, I see plenty of Rimowa suitcases on the conveyor. One of those brands that survives fashions and trends; much lime myself.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

For check in luggage, the cloth ones don’t last. Had a High Sierra duffle roller. The Singapore Airline handlers made sure it was unfit for duty in less than 2 years and it died on arrival to PP. Had to hurriedly by a plastic roller suitcase set from Phsar Thmey (Central Market). After a little more than a year, the briefcase style locks are going bad. Had to hit it multiple times to get it to open. My main luggage is now an Away that has quality polycarbonate/ABS shell. The white color is all scratched up, but otherwise still working fine.

Been eyeing the Rimowa with the electronic luggage tags. Can’t bring myself to justify to the price tag.

OP - none of my luggage weigh 10 kilograms empty. The big one is 4.5 kg empty. Even the aluminum Rimowa weighs 6-7 kg empty.

What the heck did you buy?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic