Cambodian postal delivery system

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BKK Phil
Expatriate
United States of America

Cambodian postal delivery system

Post by BKK Phil »

Gents:

I am currently residing in a small hotel in the St. 172 area of Daun Penh (PP) and am expecting an important letter to be sent via 1st class post from the US government concerning my retirement pension.

What are the chances the letter will find its way to me?

Does anyone have personal experience with the local postal system?

BTW, the hotel reception have been asked to look out for it, for what that might be worth.

Thanks

BKK Phil
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Cambodian postal delivery system

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Was your/the hotels Cambodian phone number written on the letter? If not, then it most likely will not find you and you will need to go to the post office and search through the post to collect it. There is no normal postal delivery system in Cambodia, ie. they don't deliver mail to addresses, they call the phone number and advise you that your mail has arrived and to go collect it or they will send someone to deliver it to you for a small fee...it's actually a pretty decent system.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If it's a traced letter trace it on the web, makes it a lot easier. If it's just an ordinary letter without a tracking code, they might call you when it's there (assuming your phone number is on it), or they might not. Better go to the post office every other day until they're so fed up with you they will hand you the letter (assuming it's there). Don't expect delivery to the address on the envelope without your intervention.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

What's the chance of getting some moto keys posted to Phnom Penh from Australia.is it just a matter of putting street address in Phnom Penh and contact phone number ,then when parcel gets to pp expecting a call to come pick it up
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

atst wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:41 pm What's the chance of getting some moto keys posted to Phnom Penh from Australia.is it just a matter of putting street address in Phnom Penh and contact phone number ,then when parcel gets to pp expecting a call to come pick it up

I'm trying to figure out how you got into a situation where your moto is in PP but your keys are in Australia.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Easy I left my Moto at a guesthouse while I traveled back to NZ and Australia . When I normally return just go guesthouse either stay the night or pick up the bike and head back to the province's
$20 a month motos inside guesthouse
Normally had spare key at home in province but because spent last 3 months on the road traveling around camboI took the spare keys with me
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Prob cheaper,,, and quicker,,, to have someone replace the lock and key on the bike, rather that the hassles and price of sending the keys.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Duncan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:20 am Prob cheaper,,, and quicker,,, to have someone replace the lock and key on the bike, rather that the hassles and price of sending the keys.
That was plan B thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic