Page 1 of 2

Moving to Cambodia

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:06 pm
by Colleen
We are thinking of moving from Thailand (been here 3 Years) to Siam Reap. We are Canadian and over 65

1) can we bring our furniture
2) can we bring our motorcycle
If so how would be the best way to transport it into the country

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 pm
by Duncan
By converting everything to dollars,,, OK Baht, you can travel easier and cheaper.

Are you so attached to the furniture that you will miss it when you are in Cambodia. Do you think it will fit in with the color scheme of the average Cambodian yellow brick wall with white tiles.

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm
by phuketrichard
visit 1st
Cambodia is not for everyone

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:22 pm
by Colleen
Well it is all new from Ikea ... like it
How about the motorcycle...

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 pm
by Duncan
Colleen wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Well it is all new from Ikea ... like it
How about the motorcycle...
You like it,,, but not love it.

Yep, same with the moto. I guess if it's a Ducati that you love, it's worth bringing with you but if it's new from the Honda shop,,, We have Honda Moto shops here too.

Come on,,, you say your over 65, you dont need to carry all that baggage around with you. You need the freedom of retirement, that's why you moved out of your home country,, isint it.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm
by Tombain51
What has made you decide to move after 3 years in Thailand, if you don't mind me asking?

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm
by phuketrichard
Tombain51 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm
What has made you decide to move after 3 years in Thailand, if you don't mind me asking?
can not afford the 800,000 in the bank for 6 months and than 400,000 for the other 6
which can NOT be touched

same reason others will be moving on

PS: ur bike , you will need pay TAX to get it legal in Cambodia

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:51 pm
by clutchcargo
phuketrichard wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm
Tombain51 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm
What has made you decide to move after 3 years in Thailand, if you don't mind me asking?
can not afford the 800,000 in the bank for 6 months and than 400,000 for the other 6
which can NOT be touched

same reason others will be moving on


PS: ur bike , you will need pay TAX to get it legal in Cambodia
With this exodus of foreigners from thailand to cambodia for these reasons, I wonder how long before the khmers think it's a good idea and copy the thais...

Then, where will such affected foreigners go?

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 pm
by Duncan
clutchcargo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:51 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm
Tombain51 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm
What has made you decide to move after 3 years in Thailand, if you don't mind me asking?
can not afford the 800,000 in the bank for 6 months and than 400,000 for the other 6
which can NOT be touched

same reason others will be moving on


PS: ur bike , you will need pay TAX to get it legal in Cambodia
With this exodus of foreigners from thailand to cambodia for these reasons, I wonder how long before the khmers think it's a good idea and copy the thais...

Then, where will such affected foreigners go?

To the most popular destination where almost every tourist goes.
Spoiler:
Home

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm
by Colleen
If new regulations go thru we will have to pay too much in income tax to take money out of our RIFF