Are public holidays actually holidays

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
littlelostgirl
Expatriate
Philippines

Are public holidays actually holidays

Post by littlelostgirl »

As we are all aware of, Cambodia is at the top list in numbers of holidays per year.
I recently just got into HR. I'm an accountant, but you know how a lot of bosses are (probably),
when you're an expat, you're meant to do more than just your actual job.

My question is, to those who have been staying here long or have the knowledge of:

- Does all holidays mean off work?
(I know that it should be either a no working day or paid OT. In some companies, they would make it a half day instead of full day work)

I believe Khmer New Year, Pchum Ben, & Water festivals are important. So that is indeed an actual week off holiday. But how about the small 1 day kind of holiday, and King's birthday or coronation day, etc etc...

Thanks in advance.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Are public holidays actually holidays

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Get yourself a copy of the Labour Law, it is all explained and pretty clear. If you are now an HR manager, then you'd better study the appropriate Laws and your companies policies.

You can buy English translations of the Law from book stores or download from online.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Guide to the Cambodian Labor Law for NGOs
http://www.humanitarianlibrary.org/site ... r-NGOs.pdf

Guide to the Cambodian Labour Law for the Garment Industry

http://business.sithi.org/upload/ressou ... 229_en.pdf

Annual Leave and Holidays

The Labour Law provides for annual leave to all workers on completion of one year of service. The full time workers, working 48 hours a week, are entitled to 1.5 days of annual leave for one month of service. This means 18 working days for 12 months of service. Employees working less than 48 hours per week get annual leave on a pro-rata basis. For example, workers working 40 hours per week are entitled to 1.25 working days of annual leave per month of service which equals 15 working days of annual leave. Similarly, those working 24 hours per week are entitled to 9 working days of annual leave (0.75 days of leave for one month of service).
More here https://prake.org/home/labour-law/work-and-holiday
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

You will also have to find out what the deal with the trade union is (if you have one). These contracts are renewed every 2 years and may contain additional benefits above and beyond the Labor Law.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I did not know Thailand has 26 days public holidays because my Thai boss only gave us 13 days. (maybe I should call the labour department to investigate my boss)

However I do know government employees have many more holidays than me.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

yong wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 pm I did not know Thailand has 26 days public holidays because my Thai boss only gave us 13 days. (maybe I should call the labour department to investigate my boss)

However I do know government employees have many more holidays than me.
Vote for the party that guarantees the most holidays. There are certainly plenty of parties to choose from! Nahathai Thewphaingarm is a good looking woman, maybe I'd vote for her if I was eligible, unless I spotted a better looking one!
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

littlelostgirl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 am As we are all aware of, Cambodia is at the top list in numbers of holidays per year.
I recently just got into HR. I'm an accountant, but you know how a lot of bosses are (probably),
when you're an expat, you're meant to do more than just your actual job.

My question is, to those who have been staying here long or have the knowledge of:

- Does all holidays mean off work?
(I know that it should be either a no working day or paid OT. In some companies, they would make it a half day instead of full day work)

I believe Khmer New Year, Pchum Ben, & Water festivals are important. So that is indeed an actual week off holiday. But how about the small 1 day kind of holiday, and King's birthday or coronation day, etc etc...

Thanks in advance.
My company honors about 20 holidays out of 28.

Holiday doesn't mean off-work. International Women's Day and other funky holidays are not honored by most companies. Don't matter whether you're an expat or not. Don't expect OT or any kind of special treatment.

Now, for Pchum Ben, KNY, King's bday, and water festival, you can ask your boss for an extra day off or two. Paid. It's fairly common for the local staff to disappear for a week or so over the previously mentioned holidays.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic