Really annoying problems with credit cards

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Really annoying problems with credit cards

Post by pczz »

ok just the same probelme for the second time in a year.
3 of my uk banks require me to have a uk sim card. 1 is a mobile only bank and its rarely used except if they screw up an update and you have to reload the app. The other 2 send sms codes every time I try and buy anything on the internet.
Now the problem. I keep forgetting to top up the freaking sim card and the phone company (O2)just deletes the number permanently without warning after about 6 months and I have to go through all the crap of getting a new card sent out and changing the number on all my accounts. Eve more annoying customer service do not seem to be able to see incoming sms. When I phoned up and complained that i had 3 security incoiming sms in the 2 months before they cut me off they couldn't give a damn!
My fault? no i don't think so. There is nothing in the terms and conditions says I have to top the freaking thing up, its pay as you go. I only ever use it on wifi and for receiving these security sms codes. It must be years since the last time I made a mobile call. Why pay them when you can use free alternatives? Cals don't roll over, data does but I am usually of free wifi at home or in the pub or even in the blody supermarket so there is no incentive for me to pay what amount to a £10 a month hidden bank charge.
maybe it is my fault for nor being permanently glued to facebook. I have a 4mb data plan here and i rarely use any of it. Same thing, mostly i am on free wifi even in cambodia and viber and messenger and whatsapp provide free calls.
End of Rant
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Really annoying problems with credit cards

Post by beaker »

You can't notify the bank that you are traveling outside the country ? Seems unlikely that you are not allowed to travel
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Dr. Ifter
Tourist

Post by Dr. Ifter »

Easiest options, Update your UK banking with Cambodian sim number... may require an actual call to them as some online banking fields to have ability to add +855 country code

Alternatively if for some bizarre reason they make you use a 'uk' sim, then rent one for a year here https://www.cloudsimapp.com But don't forget to renew it.. they will send you reminder though.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I don't see the connection with credit cards here, only mobile banking apps? Can you not get a local credit card here & use one of the more modern banks here like ABA for mobile banking? For UK banks, stick to internet banking perhaps?

To fix the SIM card problem, why not switch to a post-paid SIM instead & use the credit card to auto-debit that instead? Solves the expiring pre-paid SIM issue. Note the same happens for most pre-paid SIMs, no top up or activity for 6 months = SIM churned out and resold to another customer.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

With an Australian credit card, you can ring them and they will change it so you dont require an SMS code. I normally only use this for buying an airline ticket back to Australia.

I have been told you cannot get the SMS sent to a phone number in another country. It may not be the same for all banks.

In Australia, I use Amaysim. When I am in Australia, I pay Amaysim. When I leave Australia, I stop paying. They keep your number for several months. I have had the same number for years. If you were to stay in another country for a long time, you can keep your number by paying $10 before it expires.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Ok maybe i can explain better now I calmed down. I have a visa credit card with a uk mbank. EVERYTIME I use it to buy anything on the internet the payment goes through verify by visa, which sends a code to the bank account numbner registered with my bank.
Most, if not all, british banks require you to be a uk resident and have auk mobile number. If you are not a uk resident then they close the account. Its a nightmare.
Both my other uk banks have internet banking. In order to set up a payment or direct debit I have to login and set it up and then they sedn a code to my ENGLISH mobile which i must enter onscreen.
All my debit cards work no probelm online. My credit card works fine if i use it ina shop and yes I do have to tell all of them when i travel but I cannot use a foreign telephone number.
A few banks will, untilbrexit, let you live anywhere in the EU and you can use an EU phone number, but that is stopping on 29/3/2019
Its gettin worse. Some banks are checking your IP address and will not let you login from abroad, so you have to use a VPN.
English banks have their arese so far up thei bums their noses are hitting their adams apple grrr
You can receive an sms anywhere in the world, usually free. The probelm occurs when you are not at home and do not use or top up the phone. Most destry the number if you do not make a call or send a text ina set period, whcih is what O2 did to me twice. Giff gaff apparently oly requires you to make 1 paid for call every 6 months. i have no idea what the other carriers in the UK do
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

pczz wrote: English banks have their arese so far up thei bums their noses are hitting their adams apple grrr
Im struggling to visualise this. Could you draw a picture?

I’ve had same issue with UK credit card. I’ve switched providers a few times until I found one which works for me. It can be a pain.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

How about using a VPN that would show you in the UK and logging into the banks internet banking from a PC that doesn't have a sim could you not use like a messenger app that receives and sends SMS messages.
Have you tried using PayPal for online purchases it is connected to bank and works as debit card and is more widely accepted
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 am How about using a VPN that would show you in the UK and logging into the banks internet banking from a PC that doesn't have a sim could you not use like a messenger app that receives and sends SMS messages.
Have you tried using PayPal for online purchases it is connected to bank and works as debit card and is more widely accepted
SMS messages get sent to your phone number in your home country. Does anybody know any way to get these sent over the internet?

PayPal takes money from a bank account, and you may still get sent an SMS message.

With my bank, I can pay certain trusted places without an SMS, such as water and electricity. You may be able to get PayPal into that category.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I have similar issues with a couple of European bank accounts I have. I have to top up my Spanish phone every six months otherwise it will be disconnected. The hassle this would cause me forces me to set up a calendar alert in Google calendar to remind me a few days beforehand (every six months) to go online and stick another 5 Euros credit on the thing. I think I'm up to almost 50 euros credit now because I only ever use it to receive confirmation SMS codes whenever I need to do anything regarding my bank account.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic