German visa hassles...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

German visa hassles...

Post by STEVITO »

My partner and daughter were at the German Embassy today for their visa interview. They spent days and lots of $$ compiling a huge list of documents...
After the interview started they asked for the photocopy of the birth fathers passport. Seems that document had been missed off. There was a letter from the father giving permission for the daughter to travel outside of Cambodia, albeit with a small error, mentioning travel to the UK (and not Germany). UK is actually the next stop.
Anyhow embassy sent them away and said they need to reapply for an interview. The next time slot is 1 March and we are supposed to travel on 2 March. That is too late as they wouldn't issue on the same day in any case.

Any suggestions? We travel to Germany and then the UK. I don't believe it's possible to apply to another Schengen country when the entry point is Germany... (i.e. we can't apply at Dutch or French Embassy to get an earlier appointment).

Any 'fixers' known to arrange appointments at short notice that can be trusted?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: German visa hassles...

Post by Kammekor »

STEVITO wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:32 pm My partner and daughter were at the German Embassy today for their visa interview. They spent days and lots of $$ compiling a huge list of documents...
After the interview started they asked for the photocopy of the birth fathers passport. Seems that document had been missed off. There was a letter from the father giving permission for the daughter to travel outside of Cambodia, albeit with a small error, mentioning travel to the UK (and not Germany). UK is actually the next stop.
Anyhow embassy sent them away and said they need to reapply for an interview. The next time slot is 1 March and we are supposed to travel on 2 March. That is too late as they wouldn't issue on the same day in any case.

Any suggestions? We travel to Germany and then the UK. I don't believe it's possible to apply to another Schengen country when the entry point is Germany... (i.e. we can't apply at Dutch or French Embassy to get an earlier appointment).

Any 'fixers' known to arrange appointments at short notice that can be trusted?

Thanks for any suggestions.
There's a new Boss in there.....

However, if they have the right to entry to Schengen because of having a child with a Schengen nationality they should make every effort and be supportive in providing the visa, and they schould support you in being able to provide the documents needed. I would contact the consular section by email and complain.

[edit]
You're not being very specific about your situation, but if you have more questions PM me
[/edit]
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

Thanks.
The father is Cambodian, not a Schengen nation. He has had nothing to do with his daughter since birth and my partner has a translated letter from the court saying she has full authority. However the thing missing was the passport copy and perhaps the wrong country in the letter saying UK and not Germany. It should have said both. They can get that arranged/corrected in a couple of days and email it...but seems they weren't given that chance and were told to reapply.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

STEVITO wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:49 pm Thanks.
The father is Cambodian, not a Schengen nation. He has had nothing to do with his daughter since birth and my partner has a translated letter from the court saying she has full authority. However the thing missing was the passport copy and perhaps the wrong country in the letter saying UK and not Germany. It should have said both. They can get that arranged/corrected in a couple of days and email it...but seems they weren't given that chance and were told to reapply.
Mail the new chef at the embassy. I will pm you the address,

[edit]
just did
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:50 pm

He wants a visa, not a schnitzel.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:58 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:50 pm

He wants a visa, not a schnitzel.
I didn't provide him with the mail address of the schnitzel delivery service, so don't worry.

Not saying they will issue a visa, but I know a little bit how they (currently) work at the German embassy. If there's just a typo in a document that's no reason to ask the applicant to re-apply [they can just offer to bring the correct one two days later a 8 am], but the German embassy will simply try to make them re-apply.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

You're not getting into the UK on a Schengen visa, anyhow.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:05 pm You're not getting into the UK on a Schengen visa, anyhow.
I assume the OP is aware of that....
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

Correct. First we go to Germany and then on to UK. So that's another visa application which will add a few days. They've been to the UK before so hopefully the second time is also ok. UK didn't ask for a photocopy of the fathers passport either!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

STEVITO wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:15 pm Correct. First we go to Germany and then on to UK. So that's another visa application which will add a few days. They've been to the UK before so hopefully the second time is also ok. UK didn't ask for a photocopy of the fathers passport either!
Actually they ask for the same documents every time but they will want to see their old visa, too. As you're not British or married to them you're going to have to show a lot of dough in the bank for the trip, you have three people to fund for six months. It's not going to take you a couple of weeks it'll take up to six weeks assuming they are happy with your documents and the proof of your relationship. They quite happily drag it out for months as Cambodia is a red flag country. How long are you in Germany? Can she prove she has a job in Cambodia? If you don't have rock solid evidence she's going back with her kid after the holiday you ain't getting in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic