Water tank on roof

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Water tank on roof

Post by lostjeremy »

I'd like to add one of those blue or silver large water tanks onto my home. My boreys private water supply isn't to reliable. When the tanks go dry it may be a couple days to get refilled and the water flowing again.

Anyone know costs or have a business they'd recommend?

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Water tank on roof

Post by davegorman »

I don’t think you can put the blue ones on the roof as they are often a lot bigger (and obviously heavier) plus the contents tend to get hot unlike the metal ones.

Also we had issues trying to get a physical connection to a blue one. The metal ones are simpler to install.

Don’t know costs. Didn’t ask.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

lostjeremy wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am I'd like to add one of those blue or silver large water tanks onto my home. My boreys private water supply isn't to reliable. When the tanks go dry it may be a couple days to get refilled and the water flowing again.

Anyone know costs or have a business they'd recommend?

Check the construction first. A lot of those houses are build with barely 10 cm of concrete with little steel inside, designed for 1000kg per square meter max. A water tanks easily exceeds that.

Building some kind of construction in the garden is often a decent solution.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It's surprising how much weight those concrete rooftops will withstand. You can buy two ,, or even four , smaller ones and interconnect them all together, but space them as far apart as you can, thereby distributing the weight over a larger area. If its under cover you can use the blue plastic ones, and if out in the sun use the s/s tanks, but build a cheap cover over them to keep the sun off,,, alternatively if you like hot water for a shower, paint it black.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Thanks for the advice.
I'm not wanting a large one. Smaller one that'll hold just a few days worth of water for backup purposes.

davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Duncan wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:18 am It's surprising how much weight those concrete rooftops will withstand. You can buy two ,, or even four , smaller ones and interconnect them all together, but space them as far apart as you can, thereby distributing the weight over a larger area. If its under cover you can use the blue plastic ones, and if out in the sun use the s/s tanks, but build a cheap cover over them to keep the sun off,,, alternatively if you like hot water for a shower, paint it black.
How does an interconnected system work? When one fill up it overflows to the next?
Then it’ll be uneven.

If it equal amounts in each one then if the water is low there’ll be no back pressure.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

davegorman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:41 am
Duncan wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:18 am It's surprising how much weight those concrete rooftops will withstand. You can buy two ,, or even four , smaller ones and interconnect them all together, but space them as far apart as you can, thereby distributing the weight over a larger area. If its under cover you can use the blue plastic ones, and if out in the sun use the s/s tanks, but build a cheap cover over them to keep the sun off,,, alternatively if you like hot water for a shower, paint it black.
How does an interconnected system work? When one fill up it overflows to the next?
Then it’ll be uneven.

If it equal amounts in each one then if the water is low there’ll be no back pressure.

No,, they are all connected at the bottom to each other. As one fills, so they all fill. As one empties they all empty.

This ensures the weight is always distributed evenly, whether full or empty.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Ah ok.

I think a metal one is better than those plastic ones. Also they look better.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

davegorman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:47 am Ah ok.

OK,,, thats the Cambodian way . Also people buy the metal ones so they can tell all the neighbors it cost zillions of dollars cause its nice and shiny .
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Duncan wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:56 am
davegorman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:47 am Ah ok.

OK,,, thats the Cambodian way . Also people buy the metal ones so they can tell all the neighbors it cost zillions of dollars cause its nice and shiny .
Ha. True.
I’ve got a battered Rav4. Cost me $4k four years ago, and I got it cheap. My neighbours just bought a Lexus. $20k it cost, they kept telling me. Asking when I will buy a new car etc etc.

They’ve had it a month and I’ve pulled them up our shared drive twice (mud) and towed them to the garage three times. It’s not been seen since the last non starting issue one week ago.

They’ve not mentioned it since.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic