Roneat Ek

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CBEQ
Expatriate
United States of America

Roneat Ek

Post by CBEQ »

I dabble in music. I found this traditional xylophone to be interesting. Anyone know where I can find one and for how much?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roneat_ek
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Roneat Ek

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

As you will see from this extract from an old posting of mine on another forum, in 2002 I commissioned the making of a complete Pim Peat musical ensemble from the gentleman mentioned:

- - - But now to another two related bits of my life's jigsaw of involvements in Cambodia. In 2002, I had been asked by the then committee of the Khmer Community of New South Wales (KC of NSW), of which I was a non-elected invited member and the only non-Khmer, to procure for the Khmer Community and the Khemarangsaram Temple in western Sydney a high quality entire ensemble of traditional Khmer musical instruments required for the Khmer Pin Peat Orchestra.

This was quickly enough accomplished as through my then contacts at the Royal University of Fine Arts, I had direct access to an elderly and very highly respected maker of such instruments.

I had never paid any attention to where he lived at the time but imagine my surprise to find that I had been walking past his home for years without knowing it and that he is still alive but that now his son runs the business and Mr Chum Pra Soeur aka Mr. Pim, these days confines himself to the fine tuning of these fine orchestral quality instruments. Alas, his workshop is now well outside the city but I shall make arrangements to visit it on another visit to Phnom Penh. - - -

So just contact the appropriate department of the Royal University of Fine Arts in Street # 19/#178 and ask for contact particulars for - Mr Chum Pra Soeur aka Mr. Pim. He used to live on the first floor of the building literally at the junction of Street # 19 and Street # 19 Z and opposite the fine arts perfoming arts school but he moved out of that area several years ago. His son now runs the business and Mr Pin fine tunes each of the traditional instruments produced. Mr Chum Pra Soeur was, at that time, considered the foremost traditional musical instrument surviving in Cambodia.

Sorry, but I no longer have his HP number.

Hope this helps?

OML
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Roneat Ek

Post by frank lee bent »

Good to see you posting here OML.
Welcome.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia