Scoparamine attack in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
fumie
Tourist
Japan

Scoparamine attack in Cambodia

Post by fumie »

Dear. Members
I'm Japanese girl whose husband is American,so excuse my bad grammar since English is not my first language.
We're frequent visitors of pp last 6 years or so, (usually spend 3 months each in Russian market area ) three years ago, my husband and his fellow American visited pp together ( I was planning to go there month later ) and they went for a drink at some dingy pizza parlor near FCC ( I'll explain later why their memory is so vague) around midnight, they had some pizza and beer(he's no heavy drinker ),then next thing my husband vaguely remembered was being in the open area where the fountain? by riverside kneeling down and being asked bunch of odd questions, like " where are you from ? " " what's is the purpose of coming to Cambodia? " " who are you working for ? "
When my husband looked for his friend, he was also kneeling down few meter away from him.my husband says his memory is so scrambled and next thing he remembered was someone threw him in tuktuk ( his friend got different tuktuk) and took them back to their
Hotel ( Long Ty Lee in Russian market area ) then next morning, he woke up in his bed,nothing stolen ( maybe few dollars missing, but credit cards,cash card etc, everything in his wallet) . No headache, nothing. last thing he vaguely remembered was, so many Khmer people gathering in the tiny hotel lobby,he was surrounded by them even it was very late at night ( 1-2am ? ) very odd incident. My husband insists they used " scoparamine ( am I spelled wrong ? ) " to get some information from him...and he says they are working for CIA...yes, it sounds outrageous...since it happened the same day that he had an job interview with Phnom Penh Post ( sorry, might be different news company) and my husband stupidly asked an Australian man who gave him an interview if he is CIA...( of course jokingly..) sorry, the story got so long though, have you ever heard of use of scoparamine in Cambodia ? Or what was this all about....any crue ? Ever since my husband is obsessed the idea of " being scoparamined " by CIA, kinda bothers me and worries me at the same time....
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Scoparamine attack in Cambodia

Post by frank lee bent »

Funny story.
Why would the CIA have interest in him.
Scopolamine is the correct spelling.

Maybe he was naughty and invented a story.
Sounds like trolling.

This has been a persistent urban legend globally for many years but mostly with no proof.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Happy pizza attack more like.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

Sounds like the had a little too much happy pizza. How would he know it was Scoparamine in particular?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Your husband had pizza in a known drug area where they sell drugs on pizza. Go figure
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

Scopolamine patches are used on hospice patients to dry up secretions and on post operative patients to decrease nausea. In the late 70s it was also routinely given in pre-ops to control secretions and nausea during surgery. It was also used on women giving birth in the 1950s, when it was called "twilight sleep and women had no memory of giving birth. Also known as "dirty discs" when used in a patch by astronauts and seafarers for chemical vertigo manipulation.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Probably just ordered the "Happy special Pizza", when server asked if he wanted "extra happy" said yeah.

Lol.

That's what happens when you eat to much cannabis.
fumie
Tourist
Japan

Post by fumie »

Thank you for the quick answer :)
I myself suspected whole story was a result of too much of " happy pizza", but since he was sooooo adamant about scopolamine attack, so I had to stick to his story....he says he never order " happy " but who knows...since I'm good,levelheaded Japgirl, I never get stoned outside of my hotel room , I pledged myself that never have my husband gets stoned outside of the hotel room...he was probably getting a bit naughty with his friend who had never been to SEA ....
I won't show this to my husband ...otherwise he gets pretty upset to me that I didn't fully believe his " scopalamine attack " story....
Thanks a lot,again :))))
He was very lucky anyway...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fumie wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am Thank you for the quick answer :)
I myself suspected whole story was a result of too much of " happy pizza", but since he was sooooo adamant about scopolamine attack, so I had to stick to his story....he says he never order " happy " but who knows...since I'm good,levelheaded Japgirl, I never get stoned outside of my hotel room , I pledged myself that never have my husband gets stoned outside of the hotel room...he was probably getting a bit naughty with his friend who had never been to SEA ....
I won't show this to my husband ...otherwise he gets pretty upset to me that I didn't fully believe his " scopalamine attack " story....
Thanks a lot,again :))))
He was very lucky anyway...

I agree,, not everyone has a opportunity to marry a caring sharing wife to look after them.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Probably meant the school 😂
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic