Fishing in the KOW

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
RocketMonkey
Tourist
United States of America

Fishing in the KOW

Post by RocketMonkey »

So there are three things that I truly love to do, cooking, reading and fishing.

While I can charter a boat, or just join a fishing tour, that's not what I'm into. I'm far more into freshwater fishing, spin casting, enjoying the lakes and rivers. Having a few hours of solitude, mindless relaxation, with the potential of a fish dinner at the end of the day.

I've two questions.

1. It seems like you only need a license if you are fishing for profit. That you wont need one if you are recreationally fishing. Is this true?

2. Where are the best spots for freshwater fishing?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Fishing in the KOW

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Sorry Rocket, i only shoot Flying Fish down on the coast

There are so many fish down there they try to jump into your boat
The Cambodian Ethical Big-Game Hunting Association had to change the rules
It was too easy - you gotta hit them "on the wing" now.

This is the famous Cambodian Spotted Trout
- note how it is just about to swallow that fly

Our unique and much loved Jumping Jack Stingray

And the remarkable Koh Kong Giant Tadpole
it takes the meaning of amphibious to the 3rd dimension - land, sea and air
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
bunfuntamun
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by bunfuntamun »

1) As far as I know, you can go fish in all public waters as long as it is beneatha a professional quota.

2) At Aeon II, in the Japanese fishing shop. There are some adresses of stocked fishing ponds near PP, stocked with Tilapia, Silver Barbs and some other species. I reccomend fishing for Snakehead, it is a very fun and tasty fish.
RocketMonkey
Tourist
United States of America

Post by RocketMonkey »

Sounds lovely :)

I've heard good things about snakehead. Mainly that they're fair tasting and put up a rather nice fight when being reeled in.

I figure I'll pack my own reels and just buy a rod when I get where I'm going.
bunfuntamun
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by bunfuntamun »

There are cheap rods and line in the Decatahalon at Aeon II.

Also there is a really nice fishing shop on 310 St, near the corner of 163/310. Really well priced rods and tackle.
The owner will probably also know some nice fishing spots.
bunfuntamun
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by bunfuntamun »

Here is the google maps link:
https://g.page/rnrtackleshop?share
Happy fishing
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

RocketMonkey wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:38 am Sounds lovely :)

I've heard good things about snakehead. Mainly that they're fair tasting and put up a rather nice fight when being reeled in.

I figure I'll pack my own reels and just buy a rod when I get where I'm going.
Standard method for snakeheads here is to use a medium weight spinning rod and dead frog (thumb sized) on a single large hook (fitted with either a sprung wire or a plant stalk “deflector” to cover the barb and prevent the hook catching in the weed/grass as it’s retrieved ) cast the frog (no additional weight required) as far as you can into the shallow margins (the closer to the the snags the better) and quickly retrieving the bait so it “skitters” along the surface and through the partially submerged grass/rice (Hence the “deflector” on the hook barb) Snakeheads strike violently, fight hard and you may have to bully them through the snags so don’t fish too light a mainline and a short wire or heavy mono leader is recommended. Large snakeheads (1kg+) can be found in surprisingly small and/or shallow bodies of water (ditches and large puddles)
They’re excellent eating fish.
Tight lines.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic