jumping through the immigration hoops

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

jumping through the immigration hoops

Post by Freightdog »

this is no doubt going to sound lame to those who have already conquered the system, but here goes...

On my last entry into Cambodia, I was issued a Business visa. Visa number starts with EI..... valid for 1 month, single entry.
After many failed attempts to get some clarification before I left the airport, I was finally informed that I can get this extended, up to 1 year, with multi entry, via any travel agent (riverside was mentioned). I have no immediate plans to work here (unless an ideal job suddenly opens up). For now, I'll be working out of Europe, making frequent long stay trips back here, to Phnom Penh.

I'll be living in Phnom Penh with my Khmer other half.

Having visited a travel agent today, I was informed that i cannot extend a business visa without a letter of employment and a work permit.
Is this accurate?

I also cannot open a bank account without a long stay visa...

Residency-
I cannot get a Cambodian driving licence without a residency certificate
Where/how does one get a residency certificate?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: jumping through the immigration hoops

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The Visa you obtained on arrival is called an E-Type (Ordinary) Visa, yes some people still refer to it as a business visa but that is incorrect. There are 6x different Extension of Stay (EOS) options for this visa.

You cannot obtain an EB (Business) EOS without the necessary supporting documentation.

You can obtain a 6 month EG (General) EOS with no supporting documentation. This Visa EOS is designed for people seeking employment or business opportunities. When it expires you can exit and then re-enter, obtain a new E-type VOA and then apply for another 6 month EG EOS.

If you are 55+ you can obtain an ER (Retirement) ES without supporting documentation. If you are under 55 you can obtain an ER EOS with supporting documentation.

You obtain the Certificate of Residence from the Sangkat in which you live and are registered at. Your landlord needs to have registered you with the Sangkat. Take your lease and a couple of passport photos to the Sangkat to apply for your Certificate of Residence.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I tried to discuss the EG visa with immigration when i arrived (with the khmer other half, who they wouldn't talk to).
I was issued a business visa, and told to extend it. I was told that there is no EG option (by the immigration folks)

At present, there are some complications for the other half to travel, so for the next several months, the only option is for me to travel to Cambodia.

with regards to registering in a sangkat, how/where exactly do you do this? So far, the best replies to the question have been a blank stare and a shrug.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Don't try asking the Immigration officials at the airport for advice on extensions, they don't have time/don't care, haha.

Go to an agent to request the EG EOS, very simple.

Residence Certification Letter:

To obtain this document, foreigners should go to the local commune (sangkat) office where the applicant resides/ resided in Cambodia to request the letter. There is a no-standard administrative fee for the provision of this letter.
Applicants should bring the following documents:
• If he/she is Cambodian: ID card, family book/ residence book, and house rental agreement (if he/ she did not own a house).
• If he/she is a foreigner: Passport, house rental agreement, job letter (if applicable) and other related documents to support the claim of residence.
Note:

The information in the residence certificate letter includes:
1. name of resident
2. house address
3. how long/length of stay that the resident stayed/ has stayed at that address.

There is no national standard for this type of work.

Your landlord needs to have registered your lease and copy of your passport and visa with the Sangkat if you are renting, if they haven't done so, drag them along to the Sangkat with you. There are a few threads which cover the residency certificate, let me try and dig them up for you.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

So I can get an EG extension based on my current visa?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:47 pm So I can get an EG extension based on my current visa?

Yes...the EG is an EOS of the Visa type you have (E-Type Ordinary Visa).

Please understand the difference between a visa and an EOS...Visa is what you are issued on arrival or in advance from an Embassy...EOS is the Extension of Stay of the Visa.

There are 6x Extension of Stay options for the E-Type Visa;
1) EB (Business)
2) ER (Retirement)
3) EG (General)
4) ES (Student)
5) EP (Proposal)
6) ET (Technical)
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

cheers.
I'll avoid that particular agent, and try another.
AdvisorExpertTravel
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by AdvisorExpertTravel »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:16 pm The Visa you obtained on arrival is called an E-Type (Ordinary) Visa, yes some people still refer to it as a business visa but that is incorrect. There are 6x different Extension of Stay (EOS) options for this visa.

You cannot obtain an EB (Business) EOS without the necessary supporting documentation.

You can obtain a 6 month EG (General) EOS with no supporting documentation. This Visa EOS is designed for people seeking employment or business opportunities. When it expires you can exit and then re-enter, obtain a new E-type VOA and then apply for another 6 month EG EOS.

If you are 55+ you can obtain an ER (Retirement) ES without supporting documentation. If you are under 55 you can obtain an ER EOS with supporting documentation.

You obtain the Certificate of Residence from the Sangkat in which you live and are registered at. Your landlord needs to have registered you with the Sangkat. Take your lease and a couple of passport photos to the Sangkat to apply for your Certificate of Residence.

Thank you, so do you mean that we can have as many 6 months extensions as we want if we go out once every 6 months to get a new ordinary visa ?
AdvisorExpertTravel
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by AdvisorExpertTravel »

Thank you so much, this is the first time that I read about visa so clearly explained.

If you allow me to ask, do you know if renting 6 months at Murray will allow me to get the certificate of residence ? He will register me at the Sangkat ?
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 pm
I also cannot open a bank account without a long stay visa...
Many people were able to do this, even on a tourist visa, myself included. Talk to a different bank . Going with someone the bank knows can't hurt.

Living in the KoW will take a lot of patience and perseverance.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic