Home/Land Inheritance...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Home/Land Inheritance...

Post by lostjeremy »

This is one of those things you dont want to think about but you have too for your kids sake.

I plan on kicking the bucket long before my wife but, God forbid, if something happened to her I'm curious about our house.

Our home/land is in the wifes name. I know a foreigner cant buy any property outside a condo, but can a foreigner inherit property? If not then hopefully it would be able to be inherited by minors, the kids?

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Home/Land Inheritance...

Post by phuketrichard »

u cant own it, ur kids can, so make up a will designating them as next owners or her relatives will lay claim
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

“If a foreigner inherits a property, and that property doesn’t have a strata title – or is not being held through a company with a Cambodian majority shareholder – he or she cannot assume ownership of the estate. In this situation, the law dictates that the estate becomes a legal entity, which the foreigner must sell within three months. The profits are then distributed among the heirs (including foreigners) and the entity is dissolved.

If the estate cannot be sold within three months, it must be handed over to the next inheritor in line holding Cambodian citizenship.”

https://www.b2b-cambodia.com/articles/g ... -cambodia/
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Be aware...

There’s also a law which states a minimum age for owning property, 16 iirc (?...will look for the relevant prakas and double check). So if your wife passes away, and your kids are under the minimum age, then they cannot inherit the property either.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Couldn't one then have a trust to administer it for them until they reach legal age?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

that genius wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am Couldn't one then have a trust to administer it for them until they reach legal age?
That would be the best solution if possible. You’d have to find out what the deal with trusts are in Cambodia, I have no idea about trusts in Cambodia whether they’re even a thing.

Definitely worth looking into.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Just looked up the relevant Prakas, minimum age for property ownership is actually 18!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:18 am u cant own it, ur kids can, so make up a will designating them as next owners or her relatives will lay claim

You cannot make a will designating a property that is in your wife's name, to be inherited by your kids or anyone else for that matter. It's also impossible to tell your wife to make a will to leave it to the kids as she could change her will after you die or even sell it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I plan on kicking the bucket long before my wife but, God forbid, if something happened to her I'm curious about our house.
I read this as he is asking, IF his wife dies first, so his wife needs the will leaving it to the kids before mom,pop, sis, brother step in...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

lostjeremy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:54 am This is one of those things you dont want to think about but you have too for your kids sake.

Our home/land is in the wifes name. I know a foreigner cant buy any property outside a condo, but can a foreigner inherit property? If not then hopefully it would be able to be inherited by minors, the kids?

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk
Have you been legally married?

If not, it changes the situation completely.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic