Gardening - succulents and cacti?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Gardening - succulents and cacti?

Post by StroppyChops »

Does anybody grow indoor succulents and cacti ?

What's your watering schedule like, and do you plunge or spray?

We bought one each of these a couple of weekends ago and I've been misting them weekly, but I believe I should be soaking them once a week. They're sitting on a fairly warm well lit window sill.

Image Image
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Gardening - succulents and cacti?

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

AFAIK it's safe to give them a good weekly plunge as long as they can drain and the roots are not sitting in water. It's a myth that cacti don't need water.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I've never had much success with cacti, but this one I found was one of a whole bunch a neighbour left behind when they moved out. Where it turns from brown to green is the time I looked after it. Was on my east facing kitchen window sill and got the morning sun... and miraculously it actually flowered.

I've got one of the same type here and trying to replicate the conditions but no luck as yet.

Like Heng says, after you water them drain them well and don't let them sit in water.

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:36 pm They're sitting on a fairly warm well lit window sill.

Wow! That's some window sill you got there! :tumbleweed:
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

They call them, mothers in law chairs :beer3:
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
YahyaMHasanin
Tourist
Egypt

Post by YahyaMHasanin »

I spray
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:36 pm Does anybody grow indoor succulents and cacti ?
Isn't the whole point about them being outside?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

that genius wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:08 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:36 pm Does anybody grow indoor succulents and cacti ?
Isn't the whole point about them being outside?
I think they need to be kept indoors or in a greenhouse for most of the year in temperate climates. It shouldn't matter here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

If they are local cactus there should be no problems. However if your ornamentals have their provenance from a different climate this info may be irrelevant to you. On our property there are aloe verde and dragon fruit which can survive the rains of wet season and the waterless heat of dry season with no problems.

Elsewhere in the village farmers use bontilyaek as a barrier primarily to keep out unwanted critters and/or to keep cattle in. Bontilyaek is a cactus that. grows a meter or more in height and is loaded with thorns. Also, as usual I've no idea if that is a local or proper name. In any case I
wouldn't recommend it as a house plant.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:59 pm If they are local cactus there should be no problems. However if your ornamentals have their provenance from a different climate this info may be irrelevant to you. On our property there are aloe verde and dragon fruit which can survive the rains of wet season and the waterless heat of dry season with no problems.

Elsewhere in the village farmers use bontilyaek as a barrier primarily to keep out unwanted critters and/or to keep cattle in. Bontilyaek is a cactus that. grows a meter or more in height and is loaded with thorns. Also, as usual I've no idea if that is a local or proper name. In any case I
wouldn't recommend it as a house plant.
We were out in the provinces for the engagement party a few weeks back and noticed the family was growing pineapples as a barrier. Seemed to be working.

No, I don't know what pineapples cost in the provinces. This link might help.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic