New scam in the kingdom?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

New scam in the kingdom?

Post by Samouth »

A group of young Philippine girls with a bit knowledge of speaking Khmer came to you while you were having meals with friends or family or waiting at the bus station and handed you an envelop along with a few pictures of Cambodian children. After that they started to introduce themselves by saying ( I am from Philippine and now I am volunteering in one of the NGO in Cambodia and helping children in Cambodia (orphans). Our NGO is facing financial problem so we are now raising fund to help support the NGO. So please donate some money to help us).

Therefore, I donated $1 and the guy sitting near also donated some money. However I felt doubt about it as I am also working in the NGO. Raising fund by holding pictures of children and handing people an envelop is not common. So I curiously followed her then I was surprised by what I saw. ( she took the money from the envelop and put it right away in her pocket. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: New scam in the kingdom?

Post by Digg3r »

Last edited by Digg3r on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This one isn't new, I came across it years ago.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Other NGOs might creat an events or selling some souvenirs made by the children or their beneficiaries.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Last edited by Digg3r on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Digg3r wrote:
Soumy Phan wrote:Other NGOs might creat an events or selling some souvenirs made by the children or their beneficiaries.
But in the end they pocket the cash. At least the scammers weren't exploiting children by making them dance for foreigners or perform slave Labour in an NGO sweatshop.
I didn't say there were no other scams under the name of NGO. I just felt like it is a new. That's why I asked everyone if they experienced the same thing I did.

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Not a new scam, and not only In Cambodia
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Soumy Phan wrote: I didn't say there were no other scams under the name of NGO. I just felt like it is a new. That's why I asked everyone if they experienced the same thing I did.
Someone claiming to be raising funds for some charitable cause when they are actually keeping the money themselves? Not only is that not new, that's probably the oldest and easiest con on the planet. Scams have had to get more elaborate over time when that one you mention no longer brings in the easy cash from suckers.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

As others have said. Not at all new. A guy in Siem Riep pulled the same on me when I first came to visit and didn't know any better. Khmer guy.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

every night i went to riverside
every night at least 2 Philippino's in a 30 minute period, would come up an start a conversation with me, ( guys , mid 30-40's)
as soon as they asked me where i was from an than I commented they were from PI, they sat for about 2 minutes an left.

Seems there doing good as I watched them and 50% of the time got someone to talk an than walk off with them .
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic