Thinking of living in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jas777
Tourist
United States of America

Thinking of living in Cambodia

Post by Jas777 »

Hello all,
I am new here in this forum. I just want to ask a few questions and hopefully get some insight from some of you guys that are living in Cambodia now.

The last time I was in Cambodia was in 2002 and that was Phnom Penh. I was there for a few weeks and I really liked the place. However, that was a long time ago and things have changed a lot from what I hear. A friend of mine was there about 8 years ago maybe
and he got really turned off. He told me that the streets are full of motorbikes on the sidewalks everywhere and very aggressive street vendors grabbing you by the arm and so on and so forth, although he can be somewhat negative sometimes. I would just like to get a little bit of insight on how the city is now and if anyone recommends living there or better another city. I would like to be near the sea perhaps like Sihanoukville, but I get mixed reports from there. I lived in Cebu City Philippines for about 15 years, but that country has changed a lot and not for the better.
I would really like to give a Cambodia a try. I'm also wondering about the rental fees if they are reasonable. I would just like to hear a general view on the country as a whole. Thank you in advance for any of your answers.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thinking of living in Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If you value neat cities with nice sidewalks you will despise Phnom Penh.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Motorbikes on the footpaths, yes. Aggressive vendors, no. I don't think there are any mixed reports from SHV: it's a shithole now.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

The way you will know is to visit, and decide for yourself.

I don't like Phnom Penh, I prefer some of the smaller towns.

I plan to live in Australia, and have long holidays in Cambodia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Come and see for yourself before you decide anything definite. Cambodia is changing so fast everywhere, that even after 6 months away, whole neighborhoods can be transformed. Best see for yourself and determine what is acceptable for you.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:16 pm The way you will know is to visit, and decide for yourself.

I don't like Phnom Penh, I prefer some of the smaller towns.

I plan to live in Australia, and have long holidays in Cambodia.
The problem is while you are in Cambodia on long holidays you end up with so much ' junk '' that you get attached to, or stuff that you need when you come back next time. So what do you do with it ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:25 pm Come and see for yourself before you decide anything definite. Cambodia is changing so fast everywhere, that even after 6 months away, whole neighborhoods can be transformed. Best see for yourself and determine what is acceptable for you.
Cambodia changes fast, but some things never seem to change somehow....
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:26 pm The problem is while you are in Cambodia on long holidays you end up with so much ' junk '' that you get attached to, or stuff that you need when you come back next time. So what do you do with it ?
Leave it with friends.

If you make friends with Cambodian people, many of them are happy for you to leave things at their place when you are not there. Some places are more secure than others.

It is also a good idea to minimize what you have.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:32 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:25 pm Come and see for yourself before you decide anything definite. Cambodia is changing so fast everywhere, that even after 6 months away, whole neighborhoods can be transformed. Best see for yourself and determine what is acceptable for you.
Cambodia changes fast, but some things never seem to change somehow....
That's true, but OP said that he was last in Cambodia in 2002, and there's been a lot of change since then.
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

I enjoy living in Cambo and can't see myself living elsewhere for a few years but I wouldn't live in Phnom pen either. The country towns are much better for me but we all look for different things so coming over to see for yourself is the answer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic