A quandary - to treat someone else's dogs or not?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

A quandary - to treat someone else's dogs or not?

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello people.

So in the alleyway at the bottom of my building there's a few dogs that hang around all day. If it wasn't for the fact they're taken in at night you'd think they were strays. I was having lunch at one of the little cafe's in the alley and stroked on of the dogs. Now, every time I eat there he comes over and lays down, it's very cute.

Anyway, I noticed the poor lad is crawling with fleas. Like LOADS of them. You can see them on his (yellow/white) coat.

Here's the quandary: It was suggested to me by a friend in the UK that I go and buy some Frontline. I then just need to put a couple of drops on the back of his - and the other dogs - neck, and the fleas and their eggs are dealt with.

Is this the right thing to do?

Would it be best to not get involved?

Should I perhaps ask or mention it to the owner?

Etc etc - any input appreciated.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: A quandary - to treat someone else's dogs or not?

Post by Username Taken »

Despite your good intentions, it's probably best to mind your own business. Alternatively, you could start a NGO to deal with the dog flea problem.

:thumb:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

ask the owner then do it
frontline or similar pour on is best.
maybe vax them for rabies, parvo and distemper while you are at it.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Fleas? Hang on a tick,...oh, wait...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Go for it. If you want to treat all the dogs in the neighborhood, I don't think anyone would be offended.
Is this the right thing to do?
Would it be best to not get involved?
Yes.
Yes probably, unless you want to get involved long term.
Once you start helping people, or animals, you have a commitment. Up to you to decide if you want to be responsible for their care. A one-off cure doesn't work for anyone.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Of course, why not. I always have some non-branded tick/flea products at home, when you see a friendly dog that needs it, just give him some drops, why would the owner object to that. That doesn't mean you have to help every dog that crosses your path like some members imply here, just the ones that you see or come in contact with regularly.
just noise, white noise
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

whiteribbon wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:20 pm Of course, why not. I always have some non-branded tick/flea products at home, when you see a friendly dog that needs it, just give him some drops, why would the owner object to that. That doesn't mean you have to help every dog that crosses your path like some members imply here, just the ones that you see or come in contact with regularly.

If some guy is hanging around GSM and see's a dog, how would he get in touch with you. Could need more than just a few drops though.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

The dog my appreciate the short term relief but even a good product like Frontline is only effective for a month, especially in SEA. Could be more than fleas so make sure you wear gloves, taking mange home with you is not recommended.
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:17 pmOnce you start helping people, or animals, you have a commitment. Up to you to decide if you want to be responsible for their care. A one-off cure doesn't work for anyone.
I don't get this. Having compassion to get involved in even temporarily relieving the suffering of a living thing should not incur a lifetime of further responsibility. That's like saying giving a homeless begger woman a tenner for a meal out of empathy shackles you with her longer term care.

Do the best you can in this world, OP. Take care of yourself and your family and meet all your personal responsibilities and then look out for others when you can. No reason this can't go for animals as well. Besides, fleas from animals have caused more death and misery in the world than all wars combined. There may not be another black death, but no good can come of it and you don't need mangy flea bitten half dead animals around you.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

cambo swa wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:32 pm The dog my appreciate the short term relief but even a good product like Frontline is only effective for a month, especially in SEA. Could be more than fleas so make sure you wear gloves, taking mange home with you is not recommended.
there's a tiny animal store on street 222 in PP that sells non branded frontline (same ingredients) for less than 1/3rd of the price, i put it on my dogs (I have many) once every 2 months, they never have any ticks or fleas any more. And I live in the middle of nature so before I knew of this product they were riddled with them, I know it works.
just noise, white noise
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic