Alphabet on lines

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Alphabet on lines

Post by explorer »

I have been giving a little support to a small school in a small town. Among other things, I have been encouraging the students with learning English. The older students can read, write and say the letters of the English alphabet (even before I met them).

However, most books and charts used for learning the alphabet, don't have lines (as in the lines on a page of a book they write in). As a result, they don't know which letters are taller, which letters are shorter, or which part of letters go below the line.

Last year I looked in many book shops, mainly in PP, to find a chart with the letters of the English alphabet on lines. I also looked at books. Many charts and books don't put the letters on lines. The charts and books that I did find with the English alphabet on lines, all had mistakes, that is one or more letters written incorrectly.

Does anyone know where I can get a chart with the English alphabet on lines with all of the letters written correctly. That is AaBbCcDd and so on, on lines. I am also interested in any books with the same.

If you know of one, check that all letters are !00% correct. I would appreciate it if you could then photograph it and post the photo, so I can see it is correct. Of course let me know where I can get them.

If you say, only one letter is wrong, I will say that is not good enough to teach students.

After the looking I did last year, there may not be any in Cambodia. So another option is to find a good printer, and get some printed. Can anyone recommend a good printer for printing wall charts. That is something you could hang on a wall in a school.

I would also be interested if anyone knows where to get such a wall chart in Australia. Where do schools get these things?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Alphabet on lines

Post by StroppyChops »

explorer wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:50 pmDoes anyone know where I can get a chart with the English alphabet on lines with all of the letters written correctly. That is AaBbCcDd and so on, on lines. I am also interested in any books with the same.
I teach primary school and develop my own handwriting exercises, especially for the little kids. Random example, based on a jigsaw puzzle exercise:

I can develop some alphabet sheets (A4, PDF) for you, if you like. Note the correct letter a, by the way - difficult to find a handwriting font that is actually correct.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Quick thought - get an A4 version, print as many as you need on white paper, get them laminated and give your kids fine-tipped white-board markers. Instant personal whiteboards.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I remember buying plenty of posters and copy-books for my kid when he was young and they usually had lines. Some are from India and have weird grammar, and some locally produced stuff can also contain errors. It's not all that hard to produce your own stuff if what's available isn't correct or useful. For example I bought my kid a Monopoly set years ago. It was the French edition and I wondered what use knowing streets in Paris could be to a six-year-old. So I made him a Phnom Penh board and cards instead. Recently I got him the Ultimate Banking edition which does away with all that annoying cash-counting. That just uses a bar scanner so could easily be adapted too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Here's an early version, the later one had more obvious areas like Boueing Keng Kang and Tuol Kork as the most expensive slots.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Thanks StroppyChops,

It is an interesting idea.

Do you know any good places to get them printed and laminated? Any idea on the cost?

What font is that?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

explorer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 pm Thanks StroppyChops,

It is an interesting idea.

Do you know any good places to get them printed and laminated? Any idea on the cost?

What font is that?
Any hole-in-the-wall printer can print and laminate them, in Phnom Penh they'd cost less than 2000r each.

The font is KG Miss Kindergarten.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

I sell quite a few resources online, the closet free font to Sassoon Primary fonts that I have found are https://www.topmarks.co.uk/topmarks-fonts .
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Don't buy stuff.

search Google trace alphabet practice

http://bonlacfoods.com/worksheets/abc-p ... arten.html
Last edited by that genius on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

that genius wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:53 pm Don't buy stuff.

search Google trace alphabet prcatice

http://bonlacfoods.com/worksheets/abc-p ... arten.html

You should try that yourself. It looks like you need more prcatice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic