Been recently to Indonesia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Been recently to Indonesia?

Post by shnoukieBRO »

I went years ago...but has anyone gone recently?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Been recently to Indonesia?

Post by phuketrichard »

was in Bali in Oct
wont ever go back

fyi
Tourists return to Bali, the volcano is quieter, and a special offer to readers of this page ($15 to you)

Yes, tourists are returning to Bali, according to a report from a story in Investments Indonesia, below.
And to encourage you to come to Bali, we have a special deal with $15 towards your next trip, if you use the booking code at Booking.com:
https://www.booking.com/s/34_6/684132a6

Here is the tourism story:

Foreign visitor arrivals in Indonesia showed good growth in February 2018. Based on the latest data of Statistics Indonesia (BPS), a total of 1.2 million foreigners entered Indonesia for a short visit in the second month of 2018. This constitutes a 9.1 percent increase compared to the preceding month and a 17.4 percent increase compared to February one year ago.
Most foreign visitors in February 2018 originated from China (214,427), followed by Malaysia (205,855), and Singapore (125,153).
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Bali is fucked. It was OK in the late 70s and early 80s, then the bogans and limeys moved in...

Uluwatu was the best left in the world at one stage, now overcrowded with wanker gremmies and full of fire-twiddling man-bunnned hipsters: harpoons and sharks work well

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

my last previous trip was in 2002 and it was wonderful, The 80,90's were very good as well.
had a great time in Ubud, Kuta, Lovina and Lake Batur

This trip, did 700 kms around the island by motorcycle, expensive and crowded, the island is indeed fucked.

Chinese are now the number one tourist, with Aussies 2nd
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Thanks PR for your information. Yes I read the Bali thread but you didn't finish it with your experiences...So good to hear it here.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Sumatra/Java.. though. I read elsewhere of Lombok being described as BAli used to be.

Well anyway just researching cos did Java like 25 years ago on a tour with Trail finders.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

im actually listening to some Evie Tamala right now lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

been 30 years since i was in Sumatra but it was lovely back than, especially Bukittinggi to see the Orangutans and an lake Toba
Haven't been to java since 84

Spoke to lots of travelers when i was in Amed and a few had been to lombok and said it was getting busy there as well
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

They seem to reckon that Java is still OK. I guess places change and we have to put up with that or look elsewhere in the nearby vicinity.

One things for sure, Indonesia is huge and can't be all ruined. I guess one must try the more remote parts. Bali was doomed to become a tourist trap.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Toba may be worth a look, plenty tourists for decades, but off the beaten track a bit.
the pelni inter island ships are really great, very inexpensive- some offer first class cabins.

nusa tengarra ( sumba, sumbawa, flores etc ) and sulawesi are well worth a look

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelni#Passenger_ships

http://www.insideindonesia.org/riding-pelni
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

drove in jakarta traffic, 45mins journey turn into 4hrs nightmare, worst city in ASEAN
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic