Potential expat...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Notthereyet
Tourist

Potential expat...

Post by Notthereyet »

Hey guys!
New here, and not amongst you just yet.
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask and i apologise in advance for f#*@ups...

Do you think it's plausible coming over there and finding work in the first week or so? I don't come from money and i'm sort of khmer in my country.
Worked as a chef, but i also have some relatively decent soldering, computer diagnostic, and financial reporting skills
(sounds weird, i know) even though i'm not a colledge grad.

Also, i'd say my english is not THAT bad, considering it's not my native language, i've heard the teaching jobs are an option (no offense to the true educators amongst​ you)

Thanks in advance for any inputs. :)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Potential expat...

Post by phuketrichard »

i'm sort of khmer in my country.
what does that mean?

if english is NOT ur first langage what u will make teaching wont pay the bills
might do better finding kitchen work but even that wont pay much

If u cant make it in ur own country, You wont in Camboda either
sorry but that's the sad truth
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Notthereyet
Tourist

Post by Notthereyet »

Hey, i came for honest answers, no need for apologies.

I might have said it incorrectly. Our economy is not really developing right now. Thousands of people leaving and finding fortune elswhere.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

cambodia is not a place to find fortune or a place to survive with minimal qualifications or money

stay in your country and stop being naive
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
prettyvacant
Expatriate

Post by prettyvacant »

What's your skin-colour? Is "sort of Khmer in my country", the same as looking like Khmer?

$300 per month counts as "making it" with those skills you have? Then by all means come over.
Notthereyet
Tourist

Post by Notthereyet »

Nope. Whiteboy, 32yo.
And no, i was aiming more towards around 1000-1500$.
So just to clarify, i wear neither pink nor other glasses, i am actually looking for valuable input. Not really the type to jump to conclusions, or make rash decisions.

Notthereyet
Tourist

Post by Notthereyet »

P.S. - I'd like to stay politically correct and be apalled by your question about my exact skin color (i guess the precise answer would be FFFFFF, since i'm eastern-european) but then again, i don't think that flies in Cambodia, and being white does play small part in success? Not to offend anyone, it's a legitimate question.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

how much money will you be planning to come out here with?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

also share here and anywhere else you possibly can in the social media: when and where will u b arriving, what hotel will u stay at and are u travelling alone?
prettyvacant
Expatriate

Post by prettyvacant »

The question regarding your skin-colour has a bearing because you wrote "I am sort of Khmer in my country", which is pretty surreal. I wondered if you meant that you look like a Khmer. If you do, then you won't get a white-boy wage. The locals are the ones with the pro-white attitude (for a little while longer). I would assume FFFFFF colour would look a bit too much like a corpse though, or a khmer bride's makeup.

On another note. If you live rurally, you could probably get by on the amount you could get on upwork as an HTML-jockey.

Unless you have a TEFL-degree you prolly won't get a teaching gig, but I am not sure. Teachers here are an odd bunch.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic