Need help with Inward Remittance Tax Liability?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bladerunner
Tourist

Need help with Inward Remittance Tax Liability?

Post by bladerunner »

Hey,

I am thinking of transferring my savings here to cambodia (approximately USD 60,000) as the interest rates here are pretty good . I do understand there is an inward remittance charge of USD 10, i just wanted to know if there is any tax liability on that amount that i have to pay to the Cambodian government, if i just decide to keep it in my savings account or as a fixed deposit?

Thanks
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Need help with Inward Remittance Tax Liability?

Post by bangkokhooker »

You’ll pay 12% if you’re a non resident (been here less that 6 months) or 6% tax otherwise on interest earned.

Your bank will also charge a fee. Best use a Forex company.
bladerunner
Tourist

Post by bladerunner »

so if i use a forex company, i will be getting that amount in cash, which i would than deposit in the bank here... in that case, would i not have to pay the 12% non resident tax?
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

You’ll still pay for the transfer but it’ll be on the (favourable) exchange rate (also I’m not sure you can set up an account outside the US).

You’ll only pay tax on the interest you earn not the initial deposit.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Also, you won’t get “cash” it will have to be deposited into a bank.

I hope you have more cash or income. The max you’ll get (on $60k) is under $400 per month month, less tax.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Not quite accurate. The inwards remittance fee for all the banks I have seen is a percentage with a minimum of $10. If I recall the last time I did $60,000 the fee was around $70. Most banks seem to be around 1.25%. Some banks (Acleda) charge 1.25% then another 1.25% to send from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. The ANZ is worst with a fee of 3%. I asked them if they would seriously charge me $3000 for an inwards remittance of $1,000,000 and they confirmed that they would.

Withholding tax as stated above is only for interest earned not for remittances.

I think I got my decimals wrong - try 0.125%.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

It’s not tax is a fee.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic