Moving to Cambodia, What to take?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Moving to Cambodia, What to take?

Post by james1234 »

Dear Expats,

I want to move to Cambodia in the course of this year. Now I have a big house, but wil sell it and separate from my wife.
Now is the question: What must I take with me to Cambodia?

I can take 23 + 7 kgs with me for free and 23 kgs extra costs me 25.00. So every kg cost me 1$.
So what to take?
Laptop, computer screen, camera, gsm, powerbank, summer clothes, shoes, toilet stuff, medicine, small toolkit, good meatknife and?

Now I have so much stuff and the weird thing is that I can do without it all. I don't think I need more.
Please give me tips what to take. What did you miss from back home? What is difficult to get in Cambodia? :please:

I just read the other topic about this guy with his kids moving, sorry the topic is simular but this one ins more specific and I am going alone. So completely different situation.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Moving to Cambodia, What to take?

Post by prahocalypse now »

Look at what you are planning to bring now.

Bring half as much stuff and twice as much money.
tonetone420
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tonetone420 »

Make sure to bring your own clothes, as the sizing and quality in Cambodia is very different from Belgium. I would also say bring a good rain jacket.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ur question is the same as topic18739-10.html?sid=ffb1f046cb831905 ... ce388b2a39
be it one person or 2 ,makes no dif. Bring ur personal stuff, ( laptop, LIGHT clothes, shoes, Good light rain jacket...etc.)
Most important. MIN $5-6,000 to last you a few months before u need to return home
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

A good bush trimmer can come in handy too at times... oops, obviously i’ve meant a good beard trimmer :)
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Laptop - yes, but can buy here too
Computer screen - ?. why would you? Available locally unless you have a very specific special screen. And if you have a laptop you need a desktop too?
Camera - possibly. Most phones have a camera, but....
gsm- good idea
powerbank - available locally, since these are quite heavy consider buying a new one in Cambodia
summer clothes - Yes, bring a pairs of nice clothes
shoes - Yes, good shoes are hard to find and pretty expensive here
toilet stuff - For the first week maybe - unless you use some very special stuff. Buy it here.
medicine - probably available here at a lower price than back home. But check availability
small toolkit - ?
good meatknife - ? You think there's no knives in Cambodia, or are you a pro butcher?

Bring ATM cards, creditcard, inform your bank you'll be moving so you get worldwide access on your ATM cards. Some banks switch it off by default. Bring your driving license and check the expiry date. If it expires soon, renew it while still at home. Same for passport. Check bank cards for expiry dates too. Receiving new cards in Cambodia can be a pain in the ass.
Bring some clothes (cotton preferred), and at least two pairs of good shoes. I recommend bringing a good helmet too. If you intend to do some medium / long distance riding on a bike bring gloves as well. Your hands will burn easily and when you have a crash they will offer some protection.

And don't forget to bring some common sense.
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 135 »

Patience
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

Thx guys , very helpfull!
Bring half as much stuff and twice as much money.
Stuff, I have unlimited, money unfortunately not. But enough to last for a year.
Make sure to bring your own clothes, as the sizing and quality in Cambodia is very different from Belgium. I would also say bring a good rain jacket.
Will bring all my summerclothes, including rainjacket. But bought a lot of clothes in asia when I was there although I am big (not fat!) MBK in BKK is great. Only 2 x 25$ flight from SR. Cotton tailor made shirts are awesome too and not expensive!
ur question is the same as topic18739-10.html?sid=ffb1f046cb831905 ... ce388b2a39 . be it one person or 2 ,makes no dif.
I know , saw after posting and apologiced! . But bringing stuff for family with kids or one lonely semi retire, is a big difference. And he is asking general tips, me only what to bring.

The mayor problem is that I own so much stuff now, my house will be sold, and what to do with everything? Sell it for scrap money? I don't have storage and I don't plan to return. Paying for storage $100 a month is also not worth it. So stuff more expensive $ 1,00 p/kg AND usefull in Cambodia is wise to take with me.

Laptop - yes, but can buy here too - I am writer/designer. Most important item!
Computer screen - ?. why would you? Available locally unless you have a very specific special screen. And if you have a laptop you need a desktop too? For designing! Not heavy.2,5 kg. Laptop acts as desktop.
Camera - possibly. Most phones have a camera, but.... Want to publish
gsm- good idea :beer3:
powerbank - available locally, since these are quite heavy consider buying a new one in Cambodia Have very good one also for laptop
summer clothes - Yes, bring a pairs of nice clothes On my list
shoes - Yes, good shoes are hard to find and pretty expensive here On my list
toilet stuff - For the first week maybe - unless you use some very special stuff. Buy it here.Will only take what I already have (1,00 p/kg
medicine - probably available here at a lower price than back home. But check availability .Will only take a little what I already have (1,00 p/kg
small toolkit - ? I am a handyman, would hate not have have some basic tools as long as more worth than 1$/kg
good meatknife - ? You think there's no knives in Cambodia, or are you a pro butcher? Like to cook (son of butcher) and a good knife is expensive, also in Cambodia
Bring ATM cards, creditcard, inform your bank ..... Check bank cards for expiry dates too. Receiving new cards in Cambodia can be a pain in the ass.
..... I recommend bringing a good helmet too. If you intend to do some medium / long distance riding on a bike bring gloves as well. Your hands will burn easily and when you have a crash they will offer some protection.
About cards- thought of that, have travelled a lot before. About motor stuff, THX wasn't on my list! but will take my motor helmet and my nice leather summer gloves.
Patience
Yeah, I know. My live is going to change so much. I had a hectic, extremely stressfull life till now, and decided to break with it totally. Will now run small project and relax! Will try for a year and see how I like it. I think I love it! Love the country and the people! And I am so very very tired of the over regulation of my country!
Last edited by james1234 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by batshitcrazyweirdo »

james1234 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:56 am Dear Expats,

I want to move to Cambodia in the course of this year. Now I have a big house, but wil sell it and separate from my wife.
Now is the question: What must I take with me to Cambodia?

I can take 23 + 7 kgs with me for free and 23 kgs extra costs me 25.00. So every kg cost me 1$.
So what to take?
Laptop, computer screen, camera, gsm, powerbank, summer clothes, shoes, toilet stuff, medicine, small toolkit, good meatknife and?

Now I have so much stuff and the weird thing is that I can do without it all. I don't think I need more.
Please give me tips what to take. What did you miss from back home? What is difficult to get in Cambodia? :please:

I just read the other topic about this guy with his kids moving, sorry the topic is simular but this one ins more specific and I am going alone. So completely different situation.
Take money. And decide between Cambodia Expats Online and Khmer440. If not, you could become torn between the two and then be torn asunder by expats for your indecision.

Hi! I'm batman.
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

Take money. And decide between Cambodia Expats Online and Khmer440. If not, you could become torn between the two and then be torn asunder by expats for your indecision.
Money part is covered.

I don't post at Khmer440, but I am reading it because, I want to know as much as possible about Cambodia and life as expat.
I use expat.com also because of the advise of Joe Khmer. But there is much less info and posts and not entertaining, but usefull and not trolling like here sometimes and a lot on Khmer440. But i wrote a post about my experiences with the different forums before!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic