Flight to Thailand and visa.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Flight to Thailand and visa.

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Got a 6 months return flight to Thailand , from Uk. Question is, has anyone been refused boarding cos they didn't have a visa , or proof of onwards travel?

Regarding the visa application they ask for additional £10 for return post , yet they ask for stamps rather than franked mail for returns?? Can u explain if I need to supply prepaid return envelope or not when paying £10 for return ...if I even do bother with visa. Cheers.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: Flight to Thailand and visa.

Post by soup »

Unless they've changed things again, you'll get a 30 day VOA on arrival, so I don't think boarding the plane is an issue.

Get your travel agent to print you a fake onward ticket for an extra 5 dollars.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:14 pm Got a 6 months return flight to Thailand , from Uk. Question is, has anyone been refused boarding cos they didn't have a visa , or proof of onwards travel?

Regarding the visa application they ask for additional £10 for return post , yet they ask for stamps rather than franked mail for returns?? Can u explain if I need to supply prepaid return envelope or not when paying £10 for return ...if I even do bother with visa. Cheers.
If you go the visa route you include a prepaid stamped return envelope, the 10 pound fee is for the Royal Mail Special Delivery service which is a guaranteed next day delivery service including tracking from when it leaves the Thai embassy to you signing for it upon receipt.

Regarding your first question, it's possible but I think unlikely. One thing that was being asked for by the ladies checking the immigration cards on arrival in Bangkok before getting to the actual immigration counter when I flew back in January was insisting on the address of where you were staying was filled in. The 2 young English lads in front of me clearly didn't have anywhere pre-booked and looked a bit bemused, when she came back and re-checked their cards " Adlib Hotel ? - yes Adlib Hotel " :D Brought a smile to my face.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm
shnoukieBRO wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:14 pm Got a 6 months return flight to Thailand , from Uk. Question is, has anyone been refused boarding cos they didn't have a visa , or proof of onwards travel?

If you go the visa route you include a prepaid stamped return envelope, the 10 pound fee is for the Royal Mail Special Delivery service which is a guaranteed next day delivery service including tracking from when it leaves the Thai embassy to you signing for it upon receipt.

Regarding your first question, it's possible but I think unlikely. One thing that was being asked for by the ladies checking the immigration cards on arrival in Bangkok before getting to the actual immigration counter when I flew back in January was insisting on the address of where you were staying was filled in. The 2 young English lads in front of me clearly didn't have anywhere pre-booked and looked a bit bemused, when she came back and re-checked their cards " Adlib Hotel ? - yes Adlib Hotel " :D Brought a smile to my face.
yeah this,

have been asked sometimes but not everytime, ive never had return flights within the 30day period, ive either already got a visa in my passport or ive got an onward flight to cambodia, so its never been an issue if theyve asked
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

fly into cambodia instead and be sure
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:43 pm fly into cambodia instead and be sure
the most trouble ive ever had checking in was on a flight from Auckland NZ flying to Phnom Penh, they demanded to see onward travel, i kept telling them that i lived there and wasnt planning on leaving anytime soon and to check my past visas, i ended up showing them a "hotel booking" in Thailand on my booking.com App and apparently that was sufficient... :facepalm: clueless
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:00 pm
(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:43 pm fly into cambodia instead and be sure
the most trouble ive ever had checking in was on a flight from Auckland NZ flying to Phnom Penh, they demanded to see onward travel, i kept telling them that i lived there and wasnt planning on leaving anytime soon and to check my past visas, i ended up showing them a "hotel booking" in Thailand on my booking.com App and apparently that was sufficient... :facepalm: clueless
i find the most effective way to get past is to enter ballistic mode. stay calm and polite and they will kick you off the plane ASAP. am sure they get paid extra bonus for each person they scam out of a flight.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

soup wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:03 pm Unless they've changed things again, you'll get a 30 day VOA on arrival, so I don't think boarding the plane is an issue.

Get your travel agent to print you a fake onward ticket for an extra 5 dollars.
Airlines sometimes ask for a visa as required by law, even though u dont need one.If so, demand to see a supervisor an explain to him, worst case scenario u will sign a waiver in case thailand refuses u entry and u need pay ur own way back

Its NOT a visa, (Voa's are only available for like Indians and such) its a 30 day visa exempt stamp which can be extended in country for 30 days for 1,900 baht.

DO NOT show a return ticket returning 6 months later, as even with a visa, that can't happen... after 3 months u HAVE to leave.
You can say ur going to Cambodia, laos, Timbuktu ..but they dont care. Ur ticket need to be within the dates that you can remain in the country..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Thanks everyone.

PR I can apply for a visa Pre travel that allows 2 months in Thailand. Or I can just get onwards flight within 30 days allowance.

I guess I will loak at options.

Cheers :good:
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

You can also legitimately say that you are planning to travel overland by bus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic