Best place for a hammock

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Best place for a hammock

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Where can I get a hammock that will support my fat ass. No cheap nylon sheet styles. Prefer rope style. Market or store, don't care.

Thanks.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Best place for a hammock

Post by OrangeDragon »

on the road between PP and SHV there are some roadside vendors who have bad ass ones. super comfy with big thick ropes. haven't seen them anywhere in PP, and i looked pretty hard.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

OrangeDragon wrote:on the road between PP and SHV there are some roadside vendors who have bad ass ones. super comfy with big thick ropes. haven't seen them anywhere in PP, and i looked pretty hard.
I am not going to be on that way for a while, so I am at the mercy of Phnom Penh. Did you see any worthy ones in the city that perhaps were not "badass" but just decent enough to do the job for a big barrang?

Is there one style that is sold at the different markets? price range?
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Why don't you use some fat western chicks knickers?
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I've seen a guy strolling around the riverside selling them.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
horace
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by horace »

his are thin and short
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Ya the $5 hammock old man is not worth it unless your Khmer stature, short and thin.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

thePeck wrote:Ya the $5 hammock old man is not worth it unless your Khmer stature, short and thin.
I don't need the best, I am well over 6 feet tall ( guess about 1.85 meters , give or take)

So I need something length appropriate and sturdy enough to hold my weight.

Monivong still? Can anyone narrow it down. Specifics are mucho appreciated.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Here's how I got a great hammock.

I frequent a shop here in Snooky that makes shirts for me. (block and a half south of Kangaroo bar.) I downloaded/printed pictures of the hammock I wanted, went to the one store in town that has a big fabric selection, and bought heavy material. I then went to a hardware store and bought wood hoe handles (two) for a dollar each.

Back at the sewing shop we laid out the material and doubled it. With the pictures they got a good idea of what I wanted. After it was finished I drilled holes in the ends and middle of each round piece of wood ( make sure the shop leaves a hole in the middle), inserted the wood in the loops at each end of the hammock and then threaded line (rope for you landlubbers) from the ends and middle then tied the three on each end together. From this I ran heavy line (rope) to a tree and a piller of my gazebo.

Cost: $21 for fabric, $2. hoe handles, $12, to sew it into a hammock. Its 9 feet long and 4 feet wide. It doesn't sag in the middle like 99.99% of the hammocks in Cambo. I haven't seen another one like it in Snooky. The wood at the ends is the real secret as it keeps the fabric spread out. ( I also used an industrial size staple gun which is cheap at any hardware store, to staple the fabric to the wood.)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

You can buy the ones that come with a steel support frame near Orussei Market.

They hold me...enough said.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic