Proof of child custody

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mtroedson
Tourist
Sweden

Proof of child custody

Post by mtroedson »

Hi,

I have a question i couldn't really find an answer for:

My Cambodian wife (we are married in Sweden) has a daughter with a Cambodian man (never married). The daughter is 10 years old and we are moving her here to us in Sweden (she lives as many other kids with grandma, but sjes getting old and we need her to get better education than in her home).

The father has never been present, he is not in the family book, the kid has the mothers last name, she has a passport. The family book lists the mother as head of family.

The father has put his name on the birth certificate. But nowhere else.

Now the swedish migration agency says they need a paper that proofs that the mother has sole custody of the child.

As I understand it, the Family Record Book setting her as head of family is exactly that.

Or do we need to go to a lawyer and get a court order for this?

We have already waited 9 months for the Swedish Migration agency and now they dump this on us, last minute.

Any advice on what to show them as proof of the mother having custody over the child?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Proof of child custody

Post by Kammekor »

mtroedson wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:04 pm Hi,

I have a question i couldn't really find an answer for:

My Cambodian wife (we are married in Sweden) has a daughter with a Cambodian man (never married). The daughter is 10 years old and we are moving her here to us in Sweden (she lives as many other kids with grandma, but sjes getting old and we need her to get better education than in her home).

The father has never been present, he is not in the family book, the kid has the mothers last name, she has a passport. The family book lists the mother as head of family.

The father has put his name on the birth certificate. But nowhere else.

Now the swedish migration agency says they need a paper that proofs that the mother has sole custody of the child.

As I understand it, the Family Record Book setting her as head of family is exactly that.

Or do we need to go to a lawyer and get a court order for this?

We have already waited 9 months for the Swedish Migration agency and now they dump this on us, last minute.

Any advice on what to show them as proof of the mother having custody over the child?
I am afraid only two documents will do:

- a death certificate of the father, legalized by MoFA in Phnom Penh, or
- a court order / statement from the father he grands the mother full custody, legalized by MoFA in PP

I think you should put any thought of having the girl coming over anytime soon to the side. Whatever it will be, it might involve a trip to Cambodia.
mtroedson
Tourist
Sweden

Post by mtroedson »

Thanks, @Kammekor The father is absent since 10 years (living somewhere in thailand with a new name and id and passport).

Going to Cambodia is no problem, we want to sort it out once and for all, but I guess my best bet is to contact a lawyer and have them handle it for us then. Anyone know any good one's that dont rip you off (too much)?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there must be a family court that will grant sole custody to her.
thats how i got sole custody of my daughter..Father does NOT Need be around or sign anything...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
mtroedson
Tourist
Sweden

Post by mtroedson »

@phuketrichard that's what i thought that there has to be. I am sure they will grant her the custody on paper, as the father is non existent (working in thailand illegally under fake name, has no id card with the name on the birth certificate etc) the kid has lived with her mother and grandmother all her life.

Am sure a family court should handle it qiickly, but as for how that's done I guess i need to find me a lawyer. Damn it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic