Better to marry in Cambodia or k1 visa ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Better to marry in Cambodia or k1 visa ?

Post by whereami »

American going to marry Cambodian woman looking for tips on visas.....Both over 40 ( I'm also under 50 ) . Living in cambodia . Financial requirements and proof no problem... Both have passports and all other relative documentation...No rush deal , waiting another year or so to finalize is ok......Marry in Cambodia or k1 visa fiance file in USA ? Or elope to Hong Kong ? Less money is goal but not if it causes too much inconvenience......End goal returning to USA permanent . No children involved and no interest in work permits or extra charges/ fees for convenience , speed is not a priority... ....I'd appreciate any tips from someone that's did this and has some insight from mistakes , ect....thanks in advance !
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Better to marry in Cambodia or k1 visa ?

Post by pczz »

Trying to fo same for eu rrsidence fir a friend. Luckily law has changed so marriage not needed for eu noe, jusy proof if long relationship. You might need that for us too so joint bank accounts, leases in joint names and records if sll mobey sent to wife or her family will help.
If u want to marry outside csmbodia u have a problem. In most places including hk you need s documant saying the wife is free to marry stamped by ministry of foreign affairs. They will not do it. Marriages outside csmbodia are not recognised. You also need other docs you van get like birth cert and criminal recird check certifird by ministry. I have a tame notary did it for us about $70 a document .
Inside cambodia it is a lengthy process involving 2 ministeries. Likely time 6 months plus. 3 months if ur lucky. Official fees about $300 but most prople pay $2000+
The only 3 options i found this year for a friend was usa,uk and denmark. Denmark iseasiest,quickest and cheapest. 48 hours , 600 EURO. Denmark is only a schengen visa quick and easy.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

^This.
However you’re wrong about the freedom to marry. It’s called a proof of celibacy and is issued by her sangkat.

Then simply get it notorised and/or translated and stamped by the consul in whatever country you want to be married.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:39 pm ^This.
However you’re wrong about the freedom to marry. It’s called a proof of celibacy and is issued by her sangkat.

Then simply get it notorised and/or translated and stamped by the consul in whatever country you want to be married.
I know what it is. However the ministry o foreign affairs will not certify it and neither will cambodian embassies. Been through this just 2 months ago with the MFA.. Cambodia does not recognise marriage outside the kingdom. I had to go to mfa and fill out the form and they get the papers. Commune cannot iddue anymore.You cannot have them until you get your wedfing certificate precisely to stop you using them to marry abroad. Any sanghkat who issues these or consulate that stamps them now is acting illegally according to the mfa. If you want to go check wear long trousers. They wont let you in if you are not properly dressed
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:39 pm ^This.

You cannot anymore. You have to apply at mfa and they get the document from the commune. You cannot have it precicely to stop you using it to get martied abroad. Go check if you like. They have a nice new counter and i got sane from the commune as well. It is ilkegal fir them to give it to you and for an embassy to stamp it.
There is a version they can issue which is for a job, but you cannot use that for martiage and you need s certified job offer to get it
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@pczz...marriages outside of Cambodia are recognised if you go through the process to have it recognised. The problem a lot of people have, like you said, is getting the Certificate of celibacy, divorce or widowhood certified by the MoFAIC...some countries don't require this document as part of their marriage proces though

And no...You do not have to apply for the certificate of celibacy, etc. from the MoFAIC...it is a Sangkat level document, only issued by the Sangkat where the applicant is registered. This document is not only required for marriage, it is also required when purchasing property (if not married).

The marriage process in Cambodia is actually very simple and inexpensive, as long as you've got your shit squared away and follow the guide I've posted numerous times.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Well I’ll be sure to tell the sangkat where we got one yesterday that they’re not allowed to do it.
It can then be authorised by an overseas Cambodian consul, which was confirmed by my partner over the phone to double check.

Maybe you had the wrong colour trousers on.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:43 pm Well I’ll be sure to tell the sangkat where we got one yesterday that they’re not allowed to do it.
It can then be authorised by an overseas Cambodian consul, which was confirmed by my partner over the phone to double check.

Maybe you had the wrong colour trousers on.
Please read this.
http://www.ambcambodgeparis.info/?q=mariage-mixte
And this
https://kh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... -cambodia/
I went to MFA teice and confurmed eith different staff
I called the paris rmbassy
I got alawyer to confirm with the MFA.
I went to v8llage chief snd then to commune chief
Quite clearly this is the usual cambodian problem of different people giving diffetent answers at different times. In december MFA quoted 6 months from start to finish to marry in cambodia.
Last edited by pczz on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Yeah it’s pretty frustrating buddy.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Marriage process in Cambodia can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months, there is no consistent time line.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic