US Social Security checks in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
asp
Expatriate

US Social Security checks in Cambodia

Post by asp »

If you are currently receiving SS checks what bank in Cambodia do you use? I used to use Acleda and was relatively satisfied but they stopped the service. My current bank, Cambodia Public Bank(Kampong Cham) has a really rotten business attitude.

Also, is it possible to set up a savings account in another country while living in Cambodia? What paperwork and minimum deposit are required? Thanks...
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: US Social Security checks in Cambodia

Post by Sailorman »

I use a major American bank and withdraw the money at any ATM. When I moved to Cambodia over 4 years ago, the corrupt Manila SSA office cut me off and said I lived in a "Banned" country and had to mover to another country. I got that foreign national SSA worker fired and spent 6 month of 6 hours a day to get Cambodia taken off of the "banned" list. I'm not sure, but if you have family in your home state, maybe they can help you set up a bank account there. Also I use a "Current" or "Checking Account" for my SS deposits. I hear a new thing with the IRS is you have to show any bank accounts you have outside of the US
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

Thanks Sailorman, I haven't any close living relatives in the US.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I use American bank also withdraw at ATM and use online banking. Using a bank here you will have lag as the check would have to clear first also additional fees. It used to be that we had to go and sign in at the embassy each month some had there checks sent to the embassy but don't think they do that anymore maybe check with them.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I keep hearing about USA Security Cheques being sent out. Just how backward is the USA ? Cheques are a thing of the past error. Why can you not have the money directly deposited from the SS into your bank account in the good old US of A, and use a card to withdraw it here or any ATM in the world. And please don't start making excuses why it cannot be done, as this is how the world operates now.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

That's what I and sailor man have said above our checked are direct deposited.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

I specifically requested input from those who are obliged to bank in Cambodia as I am. I have lived here for 19 years and have no active bank account in the States nor do I wish to return simply to open one. Checks are of course outdated, but that is better than nothing at all.

So, instead of lecturing me tell me how to open an account there while living here. By the way for those who don't know it is illegal for an American bank to.make a direct deposit into a Cambodian account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

beaker wrote:That's what I and sailor man have said above our checked are direct deposited.
Ok , sorry I did not read properly. I remember people in the past having problems about SS cheques . Perhaps the USA has caught up with the rest of the world.

Except they still use miles per hour.
pounds and ounces.
Inches , feet and yards
Gallons.
Fractions.

But given time they will change and catch up.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

So, can someone tell me if it is possible to open an account in the US while residing in Cambodia so that I can have my checks direct deposited?
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

You American chaps need a good housecleaning in your government.
Public servants should know their place.
I fear Mr Trump will not be the man to do it though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic