MFI

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

MFI

Post by mcam »

Has anyone had any dealings with the MFIs here?
I’m looking to get a small loan in the future in the mrs name who is Cambodian. What is the process and how hard is it?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: MFI

Post by that genius »

ID

Income letter from employer

Security - some accept ownership/reg card of motor vehicle

I suggest you try a bank first, lower rate of interest, but you would need proof of long-term employment

If you have that, why not try your employer?

Process is normally within a few days
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

if it is for land, you may be much better to deal directly with the developer as they often offer very low interest rates with low down payments and low documentation as the loan is secured by the property. it is a buyer's market with numerous small blocks of land in proximity to factory districts.

many of these factories require or will require boarding house style accommodation and returns over 18% and more are achievable with on site management.
even more money can be made with a little commissary dining hall for the tenants.
one might develop the property with the loan outstanding and get into positive gearing in a matter of months

i know a couple of khmer barang couples who have done this, and still expanding after 3 and 4 years respectively.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:06 pm if it is for land, you may be much better to deal directly with the developer as they often offer very low interest rates with low down payments and low documentation as the loan is secured by the property. it is a buyer's market with numerous small blocks of land in proximity to factory districts.

many of these factories require or will require boarding house style accommodation and returns over 18% and more are achievable with on site management.
even more money can be made with a little commissary dining hall for the tenants.
one might develop the property with the loan outstanding and get into positive gearing in a matter of months

i know a couple of khmer barang couples who have done this, and still expanding after 3 and 4 years respectively.
Are we talking about purchasing land then building this type of accommodation there, or buying a building then converting it.

Also is this in Phnom Penh? I currently live out towards the airport and would like to stay in this area for work
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

purchasing land then building.
there is heaps of this kind of land behind the airport among the developing factory districts
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:50 pm purchasing land then building.
there is heaps of this kind of land behind the airport among the developing factory districts
Any idea of size and price? I’ve never thought about buying land here as I’ve heard it can be expensive
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I think most banks only lend large amounts and need proof of income. They are not always keen to lend to foreigners.
MFI usually do small loans over short periods at high rates. They usually lend to loan groups to share the risk and you are going to pay around 15% up even if it is secured on the land and they will need hard title. The mother in law wangled them into $500 loan on property they valued at $1500.

Prasac and Amret are old and well established. AMK is also moving up the chain. Prasac is in the process of becoming a bank.
Since the government capped interest rates the deposit rates have fallen. You can still get 8.7% in AMk for 12 month bonds, most of the rest are around 7 to 7.5% but the rate for usd or riel is now usually the same.

make sure no one sees you. A white face bumpos the price of land and building 50% or more!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic