Gold Shop for Bars and Coins

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
steelyRon
Expatriate

Gold Shop for Bars and Coins

Post by steelyRon »

I have been looking for a gold shop in PP, that trades in gold coins and stamped bars. I visited the Olympic Market and around Central Market ... saw over 100 dealers but no coins or bars that I could see. Have read that Canadia Bank used to sell bars, but have not been able to see anything current on that. Was told by Khmer friend that Ly Hour has biggest gold store in PP. I see 11 branches on search, some Microfinance and other businesses. I keep coming back to Ly Hour on Charles De Gaulle, but even with street view, I don't see Gold Shop.

Any information appreciated... I come up from Kampot, and my time to search around the city is limited. Also curious..I read that many Cambodians avoid banks and put savings into gold. Is this into jewelry or some other commodity?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Gold Shop for Bars and Coins

Post by frank lee bent »

usually jewellery.
GF says never seen bars
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fly over to Bangkok and go to china town
http://www.asiatradingonline.com/gold.htm
gold bars
https://taxfreegold.co.uk/bangkokgoldbars.html

for stamped bars head to HK
https://www.lpm.hk/gold.html some fine choices
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

steelyRon wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:11 am I have been looking for a gold shop in PP, that trades in gold coins and stamped bars. I visited the Olympic Market and around Central Market ... saw over 100 dealers but no coins or bars that I could see. Have read that Canadia Bank used to sell bars, but have not been able to see anything current on that. Was told by Khmer friend that Ly Hour has biggest gold store in PP. I see 11 branches on search, some Microfinance and other businesses. I keep coming back to Ly Hour on Charles De Gaulle, but even with street view, I don't see Gold Shop.

Any information appreciated... I come up from Kampot, and my time to search around the city is limited. Also curious..I read that many Cambodians avoid banks and put savings into gold. Is this into jewelry or some other commodity?
Years ago, when gold was less than $500/oz, Canadia bank offered deposits held in gold bars from the Phnom Penh branch. I think it was some internationally certified ingot, maybe from Switzerland ?
However, if things went south, hence justifying being in gold, how safe are your ingots with a Cambodian bank

What about something like https://www.goldmoney.com/
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I bought and sold physical gold through one of the biggest PP money changer during last market surge (not Ly Hour).
I knew him for 10 years and had no confidence issues but I was left in the dark regarding origin/presentation until the day it happened.
It was a pleasant surprise to see a UBS 1 kg gold bar and a real shock to see him cut out my desired quantity from the pristine bar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic