Posted first in 'getting your fill': Looking for a good steak in PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Posted first in 'getting your fill': Looking for a good steak in PP

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Hi everyone.

I posted this about 90 minutes ago under "getting your fill" and haven't gotten any replies: I'm at loose ends this evening (kids at the restaurant next door are down in Snooky till tomorrow), and I'm thinking I'd like to cap off my long weekend with a decent, affordable steak.

I found one old thread recommending "The Pub" at streets 174 and 51 (walking distance for me) but other commentators in that thread were less enthralled, especially with the service and the cigarette smoke.

Anyone else? I'd like to be able to walk from the corner of 55 and 240 (Phnom Penh) which for me is Central Market to the north and I don't mind walking a little further to the south -- let's say 51 and 320 is the cutoff in that direction. If the steak is decent and under $10, you win a prize. I don't know what the prize is yet, but you win it.

Thanks.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Posted first in 'getting your fill': Looking for a good steak in PP

Post by violet »

Bouchon St 174....except I can’t say whether or not it is under $10
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

$11.... lovely place... menu here

https://www.facebook.com/bouchonwinebar/menu/
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I don't know what the prize is yet, but you win it.

My guess-a pair of used slippers.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Bouchon looks like a real winner! THANK YOU!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

violet wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:32 pm $11.... lovely place... menu here

Looks great! :bow:

I see it's a wine bar by name, but I didn't see a wine list, only vodka, and I'm allergic to vodka.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

that genius wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:51 pm

I see it's a wine bar by name, but I didn't see a wine list, only vodka, and I'm allergic to vodka.
Here's an old menu the wine list starts at page 12, give you some Idea. http://phnom-penh.leboost-cambodia.com/ ... 8/menu.pdf They still have about the best selection of French wines in town. They used to do great Bordeaux and Bordeaux Superior from about $17 per bottle which was excellent. Now the "house wine" is Buzet Le Lys in carafe at $20/litre which IMO is not that good and now I tend to go for a Médoc at around $25/bottle.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:32 pm
that genius wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Here's an old menu the wine list starts at page 12, give you some Idea. http://phnom-penh.leboost-cambodia.com/ ... 8/menu.pdf They still have about the best selection of French wines in town. They used to do great Bordeaux and Bordeaux Superior from about $17 per bottle which was excellent. Now the "house wine" is Buzet Le Lys in carafe at $20/litre which IMO is not that good and now I tend to go for a Médoc at around $25/bottle.
For some reason it seems I cant edit posts. I wanted to add this pic of the board so I will have to "quote" sorry about that

SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

What happened to Good Dreams by the Rock on Monivong Blvd., with the cute Chinese manager, Hua, and her country-style joint with esoteric Khmer dishes and fabo slab of steak served on a round of wood that would run out by 8pm most nights?

Where, oh where, did she go? ;(
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I have no idea who complained about the pub because I eat ther almost every day, best value breakfast in Cambodia $3.5 including tea. Run by an Englishman, usually I am the only smoker there and I sit outside. Good steak pies, great sunday. The steak is pretty good. Service is variable but no worse than anywhere else and its not usually that full. the only thing you have to watch is they do not understand the meaning of rare medium and well done. rare menas still kicking, medium means bleeding profusely and well done means almost stopped bleeding so tell them you want no blood and black outside, Works for me
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic