Open water swimming kampot/kep

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Open water swimming kampot/kep

Post by rick_o'shea »

I'm looking for some info regarding open water swims in the sea, not the river.
Particularly about any expat open water swimmers, locations, currents, and areas where 2km to 4km swims can be done.
Sailing Club?
The beach where folks kite surf?
Mainland to rabbit island?
Rabbit island to other small islands?

Secondly, is there much red tape with expats owning small boats with outboard motors?

Any useful info is appreciated.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Open water swimming kampot/kep

Post by phuketrichard »

Take the 30 minute boat to rabbit island and swim around it. Depending on season half could be rough. We go over there to swim all the time.
Lots of local expats own boats in kampot for river use
Never seen any kite surfing, snv might offer it, ud need ask
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Depends on the day, doesn't it? If the "wind churn" is high, visibility is low because it's self-mixing and circulating. Should rinse away any excess buildup. However, white caps are not good for weak or small swimmers.

Most beaches are fine, though.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

Thanks guys. Maybe I should have been clearer in my request.

Looking for a location or several for long distance open water swimming in Kampot or Kep, not Sihanoukville. We will have motorized boat or kayak support for longer open sections.
Not beginners or weak swimmers. Not kite surfers. I was referring to the beach used by kite surfers on the way out to Bokor; on a calm day it may be useable, I don't know the area too well yet.

Rabbit island sounds sensible. Kep beach does not - it's filthy.
Other tips appreciated.

Cheers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic