Any experience using your sangkat residency letter?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Any experience using your sangkat residency letter?

Post by StroppyChops »

I've moved house since I obtained a sangkat residency letter.

My landlord is okhna and not overly interested in sourcing a new residency letter from the sangkat office for me.

Has anyone ever used an outdated residency letter officially?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Any experience using your sangkat residency letter?

Post by bangkokhooker »

Did you get all your air con units back?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

bangkokhooker wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 pm Did you get all your air con units back?
Nope. Happened to be at the previous address the next day and saw the previous landlord's son/nephew carrying in the equivalent parts that weren't stolen (the plants) down to the make and model - such an amazing coincidence.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You can get your certificate of residence without your landlords assistance, jut take your lease. If you have any issues at the Sangkat, then call your ll.

I've obtained 3 residency Certs without the help of ll, 2 were after I'd moved out, and 1 of the landlords lived abroad so wouldn't have been much help ️anyway.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Oh, and if it's for your drivers license then it will need to have your current address on it, so you're old one will be no good... Unless you lie about your address
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:42 pm You can get your certificate of residence without your landlords assistance, jut take your lease. If you have any issues at the Sangkat, then call your ll.

I've obtained 3 residency Certs without the help of ll, 2 were after I'd moved out, and 1 of the landlords lived abroad so wouldn't have been much help ️anyway.
Doesn't the sangkat ask to see the land tax receipt? How much did you pay, can I ask?
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:55 pm Oh, and if it's for your drivers license then it will need to have your current address on it, so you're old one will be no good... Unless you lie about your address
Oh, that wouldn't be ethical!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Nope, just needed my signed leases. The lease should be registered with the Sangkat of course, but my first one wasn't and I had no issues.

Least I've paid is 10,000, most I've paid is 20,000 Riel.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:32 pm The lease should be registered with the Sangkat of course...
And there's the rub.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:06 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:32 pm The lease should be registered with the Sangkat of course...
And there's the rub.
Registering foreign tenants and paying property tax are two completely different things, dealt with by different ministries...Sangkat has nothing to do with the property tax so that shouldn't be an issue at all. If there's a problem because your landlord hasn't registered you, just ring him and let the Sangkat officials speak to him, shouldn't be any drama, especially if he is really an Okhna.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:38 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:06 pm
And there's the rub.
Registering foreign tenants and paying property tax are two completely different things, dealt with by different ministries...Sangkat has nothing to do with the property tax so that shouldn't be an issue at all. If there's a problem because your landlord hasn't registered you, just ring him and let the Sangkat officials speak to him, shouldn't be any drama, especially if he is really an Okhna.
Yeah, good advice. Thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic