What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Posts: 769
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:37 am
Reputation: 72
Spain

What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Post by AlonzoPartriz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:36 pm

I have been offered a new client, but they would prefer an Australian teacher. This got me wondering: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?
I know a fair bit about the differences between US and UK English, but I can't ever remember reading anything about comparisons with Australian English.

Do the Australians use UK or US spelling in the main?
Do they favour American idioms and slang, or British ones etc?
Do Australians in general understand English or American visitors better?
Etc
Any links to comprehensive articles someone can recommend​ are very much appreciated.
TIA
See crook!!!
Jilted John
Tourist
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:36 am
Reputation: 2

Re: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Post by Jilted John » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:26 pm

They must have a penchant for the criminal slang. I would lean towards the guttural peasant way of speaking combined with a loud and obnoxious manner. Crudeness, thickness and an ability to bluff weakly but pseudo convincingly is a must for authenticity.

A natural ability to bullshit would help you sell your services to one who erroneously believes australian speak is desired anywhere but there. Take the money and smile.
User avatar
hatchelt
Expatriate
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:28 pm
Reputation: 13
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Post by hatchelt » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Jilted John wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:26 pm
They must have a penchant for the criminal slang. I would lean towards the guttural peasant way of speaking combined with a loud and obnoxious manner. Crudeness, thickness and an ability to bluff weakly but pseudo convincingly is a must for authenticity.

A natural ability to bullshit would help you sell your services to one who erroneously believes australian speak is desired anywhere but there. Take the money and smile.
LOL, John's user name checks out :D
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 10462
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 1889
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Post by Username Taken » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:43 pm

AlonzoPartriz wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:36 pm
I have been offered a new client, but they would prefer an Australian teacher. This got me wondering: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?
I know a fair bit about the differences between US and UK English, but I can't ever remember reading anything about comparisons with Australian English.

Do the Australians use UK or US spelling in the main?
Do they favour American idioms and slang, or British ones etc?
Do Australians in general understand English or American visitors better?
Etc
Any links to comprehensive articles someone can recommend​ are very much appreciated.
TIA
Give the client what they want.
No point learning from British or Americans if the student is moving to Australia (to study, work, whatever).

I know one Khmer guy (adult) who has been studying with an Australian teacher for several years, when you hear him speak you would believe he grew up in Oz, yet he has never been outside Cambodia.

To answer your questions:
Australians learn British English.
They would be familiar with both British and American slang/idioms because they hear it on TV and youtube.
Due to the diversity of nationalities in Australia, they can understand most anybody. The down side is that because they can understand many accents, they instinctively assume that everyone else can understand them. :plus1:

Sorry no links to comprehensive or other articles.
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13756
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1952
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Username Taken wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:43 pm
AlonzoPartriz wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:36 pm
I have been offered a new client, but they would prefer an Australian teacher. This got me wondering: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?
I know a fair bit about the differences between US and UK English, but I can't ever remember reading anything about comparisons with Australian English.

Do the Australians use UK or US spelling in the main?
Do they favour American idioms and slang, or British ones etc?
Do Australians in general understand English or American visitors better?
Etc
Any links to comprehensive articles someone can recommend​ are very much appreciated.
TIA
Give the client what they want.
No point learning from British or Americans if the student is moving to Australia (to study, work, whatever).

I know one Khmer guy (adult) who has been studying with an Australian teacher for several years, when you hear him speak you would believe he grew up in Oz, yet he has never been outside Cambodia.

To answer your questions:
Australians learn British English.
They would be familiar with both British and American slang/idioms because they hear it on TV and youtube.
Due to the diversity of nationalities in Australia, they can understand most anybody. The down side is that because they can understand many accents, they instinctively assume that everyone else can understand them. :plus1:

Sorry no links to comprehensive or other articles.
Australians struggle with my british accent, but then again, even people frum darn sarff o' gods own cuntry struggle wi' it :plus1:

i think the main difference between British English and Australian English is that the Aussys put an -o on the endo ofo everythingo
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
AndyKK
Expatriate
Posts: 2106
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 am
Reputation: 459
Cambodia

Re: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Post by AndyKK » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:47 pm

Some struggle with a bit of broad Yorkshire too, even the southern Brits. :)
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 6429
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 2312
Yemen

Re: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Post by John Bingham » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:07 am

Username Taken wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:43 pm
The down side is that because they can understand many accents, they instinctively assume that everyone else can understand them.
That's brilliant! To be fair though, that goes for all sorts of nationals. I lived with a bunch of Scots for a good while, had a lot of Welsh mates, Jamaicans and small islanders, loonies from Merseyside, did business with Pikeys and all sorts of people from all over. So I can understand a lot of dialects. The most difficult I find is the northern Irish accent.
Barang chgout
Expatriate
Posts: 3065
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:36 am
Reputation: 677

Re: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Post by Barang chgout » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:13 am

Two words. Fuck and cunt.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 4692
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1085
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Post by hanno » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:24 am

User avatar
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 11:26 am
Reputation: 1667
Location: Behind you.
Australia

Re: What are the differences between British English and Australian English?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:29 am

I'm an Australian who has become Americanized in my way of spelling as my O.C.D. doesn't allow for red squiggly misspelled error lines when I type.
The idea that seeing the world is going from place to place to look at obvious things is an illusion natural to dull minds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joelightcloud, mcam and 173 guests